1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball hall of famers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahh yes.

The anti-Ryan moron brigade.

Run Support should be a stat, right next to ERA and win total.

Bubbler is generally right about comparing pitcher win percentage with team win percentage.... but there are pitchers out there who simply rarely got run support while their teammate starters were.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll be on to Morris after Blyleven gets in, Simon.

You can bank on it.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- Anyone who is advocating Blyleven, should realize Morris doesn't belong. You ready to put in Larsen? Wells? El Duque? Suppan?

- After a single game, Morris' best argument is that over a random decade, he was the league's best SP - a standard that has given us unworthy HOFers like Carter & Sandberg (I have never seen Morgan questioned, but didn't read the whole thread). It would also yield Lance Parrish. Positions go through streaks. For 20 years, there were 2-4 HOF worthy SSs in the game (Ripken, Ozzie, Yount & Trammel). 15 years later, there were 5 guys playing the position at a HOF level for a sustained period of time (Arod, Jeter, Nomar, Tejada & LArkin). Judge the player on his own merit.

- I don't think there were many (if any) years when Morris was actually the best pitcher. I think Steib was better early & Stewart late. A career ERA of just under 4, in an extreme pitchers era is not HOF worthy, Game 7 or not.

- Blyleven is more worthy than a bunch who are in (Sutton, Jenkins, Perry, Neikro, Drysdale). If I were starting from scratch, I don't know. But at this point it seems unfair to keep him out.

- Gossage being snubbed is indefensable. He is paying the price for playing too long. He shouldn't.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If in fact that 250 is the new 300, does Mussina get a look?

If more than 30 percent of a baseball roster pitches, why not have pitchers represent 30 percent of all HOF inductees?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not Mussina, there may be other pitchers with 250 wins that get in, but Mussina is the definition of very good, but not great.

Draft saved Draft deleted