1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 3, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'd love to see someone explain why Bowie Kuhn deserves to be in the Hall. Helpng blacklist Jim Bouton? Not showing up for Hank Aaron's No. 715? Being the commish during the 1981 strike? The '72 mini-strike? The start of the DH? Oh yeah, he instituted the first night World Series game so now my kids can't watch any of the games.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kept rooting for him to contract pneumonia when not wearing a topcoat during some of those ridiculous deep-freeze night WS games.

An astonishing piece of owner-stroking garbage.

Rot in hell, deadbeat.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's interesting Kuhn gets in at the same time as Walter O'Malley. IIRC, a few people accused Kuhn, rightly or wrongly, of being a lackey for the Dodgers' owner. I remember one writer saying "when O'Malley requests coffee at the owner's meeting, Kuhn asks 'do you want one lump of sugar or two?'"

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

O'Malley was perhaps the most influential owner in baseball at the time, certainly in the National League. He commanded the respect of his fellow owners and was the key guy in any significant vote that was to be taken. Kuhn was his lackey. Reads "Lords of the Realm" or Marvin's book "A Whole Different Ballgame" which both provide plenty of examples.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just don't understand how you can vote in Kuhn and not Miller or Buck O'Neill.
    It reminds me of the scene in Remember The Titans, "Coach, you can forget about the Hall of Fame." Any Hall of Fame does a disservice to its mission by being used as a way to settle old scores.
    What a joke. Do these clowns voting think they're helping baseball? Do they think they are getting payback? Are they ignorant, deceitful, or just scoundrels?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

O'Malley rolled into a gold mine in L.A., and with the decline and fall of the Yankees in the early 1960s, including the mismanaged period of CBS ownership, was pretty much the strong man of baseball for about 15 years. And yes, the main function of Bowie Kuhn was to shine his shoes.

7. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Marvin Miller is a Hall of Famer if Bowie Kuhn is.

Any day, any year, any time.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Marvin Miller shouldn't fret. After all, Barney created the World Series and they voted him in just 70 years after he died.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm no Bowie fan, but he didn't blacklist Bouton. In fact, the false furor he created over "Ball Four" was the book's best promotion.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't claim to know Marvin Miller, but I was covering during his regime. I suspect he considers his HOF exclusion to be a bigger validation of his impact than a plaque would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted