1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 3, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Shame that Ewing Kauffman didn't get in.

I know -- he only won one World Series and owned a small-market team /fanboy looser

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kauffman built a very solid frachise that his successors have since destroyed. He is far more deserving that Bowie Kuhn.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Kauffman did more with less than most. O'Malley did less with more than most. And Kauffman didn't piss off a community by moving his franchise.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gave up on the Hall of Fame's credibility when that clown cancelled a Bull Durham event there because he disagreed with the politics of Sarandon and Robbins. I think it was Dale Petroskey.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Best synopsis of this story so far. Thanks Cranberry. I'm not a fan of Miller because he can be surly and egotistical when he speaks, but the guy did change the landscape of the game.

Marvin did himself no favors today by bitching about it, when he knew that the deck was stacked against him.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's a travesty that David Glass had any say on who gets into the Hall of Fame, in any category.

And Kuhn's election reminds me of the broadcasters who are in the Hall of Fame (Not naming any names) mainly because they spent an ungodly amount of years calling games, not because they were any good at it.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Chick Gandil is more deserving than Bowie Kuhn.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably the one and only owner who ever deserved to get into the Hall of Fame was Bill Veeck.

Fans don't pay money to watch owners own.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't quite know exactly who is on the committee, but when they changed the procedures this year, the voting for the executives ballot (which Miller was eligible under) was changed to a separate 12-member body of Hall of Famers, executives, and media veterans appointed by the Hall of Fame Board. To get in, you need 75 percent, or 9 votes. I was listening to Ed Randall on the radio this weekend rant about this, and I believe according to him, those 12 members on this committee, included enough executives to insure that Miller wouldn't be elected. Miller was their adversary. So it is no longer a case of all of the Hall of Famers voting and snubbing the guy who made them rich. There is a reason Miller doesn't stand a chance if what I was hearing is correct. Can anyone else elaborate?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think cran already covered this early in the day Ragu.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

From the HOF press release:

The 12-member electorate with review the Executives/Pioneers ballot featured Hall of Famers Monte Irvin and Harmon Killebrew; former executives Bobby Brown (American League) and John Harrington (Red Sox); current executives Jerry Bell (Twins), Bill DeWitt (Cardinals), Bill Giles (Phillies), David Glass (Royals) and Andy MacPhail (Orioles); and veteran media members Paul Hagen (Philadelphia Daily News), Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) and Hal McCoy (Dayton Daily News).

I can't see Paul Hagen, Rick Hummel or Hal McCoy not voting for Marvin. I'd be very surprised if one of them didn't. If Harmon Killebrew didn't vote for Marvin he should be ashamed of himself considering what Marvin meant to the players of his generation. I had thought Andy McPhail, who by all accounts is a smart and decent guy, could rise above his family's historical animosity toward the union. But I think about five votes would be alll he could have hoped for from this panel. The HOF becomes less and less credible every time stuff like this happens.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. I totally missed cranberry's post. Sorry about that. I didn't quite understand it. Now I do. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted