1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 3, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Former commissioner Bowie Kuhn was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee on Monday while his longtime adversary, players' union boss Marvin Miller, was left out for the second time this year.

Former Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley, Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss and managers Dick Williams and Billy Southworth were also elected.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

To have Bowie Kuhn in the Hall of Fame and leave Marvin Miller out is an absolute travesty...especially since many of the Veterans Committee voters made millions and millions of dollars solely because of Marvin Miller.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Deadbeat Bowie . . . and O'Malley, the same year?

Gag.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed on that, spnited. Miller shaped the modern game more than anyone dead or alive.

And I'm real, real surprised O'Malley made it, even though he was probably long overdue (to speak nothing of Dreyfuss. Geez.) I wonder if that outstanding HBO special had anything to do with helping his cause ...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well I was refusing to attend the Baseball Hall of Fame until Bowie Kuhn was inducted. Now I can plan my trip. Hooray!

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Is there anyone left in Brooklyn to be POed about O'Malley getting in?
    It seems that Robert Moses had as much to do with the Dodgers going to LA as O'Malley, still...

7. Holy fuck.
    Missouri is now on the second most egregious screw-ee of the week.
    More evidence behind the proposition that the best thing that could happen to the Baseball Hall of Fame is a crack in the world that swallows that whorehouse up.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent with your sentiment but the latest panel the HOF trotted out
    was even more stacked against Marvin than the past committees. There was only one player from Marvin's era -- Harmon Killebrew -- and, according to Marvin's book, Killebrew wasn't particularly supportive back in the day. Beyond that, there were several rabid anti-unionists on the 12-person panel, like David Glass, Bill DeWitt and Bill Giles.

Marvin got three votes and I'd guess they came from the three veteran media guys on the panel -- Paul Hagen (Philadelphia Daily News), Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) and Hal McCoy (Dayton Daily News).

Marvin and everyone who knows and likes Marvin knew the panel was stacked against him from the beginning.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Baseball is a great sport in spite of the people who play, manage, and are associated with it.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Putting Bowie Kuhn into the Hall of Fame isn't "in the best interest of baseball."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can't argue with any of this.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks Cran. Didn't realize this was the "other" vets committee. not the onle with all the living Hall of Famers.

Still, Kuhn and not Miller is a travesty by any measure.

Draft saved Draft deleted