1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans Ballot. UPDATE: Torre, Cox, La Russa elected

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans Ballot.

I hope they put all three managers in right away, so they don't clog up future ballots. Seems odd to me that there isn't a different means for managers and executives (and umpires) to get in. I'd rather see the vet ballot literally be just players. Maybe I'm alone here though.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

is Concepcion the Rizzuto of his era?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Concepion wouldn't be looked at were he not a member of an iconic team. Maybe that matters more than I think it does. Feels like dumb luck, though. Hasn't helped Gil Hodges.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lou Reed.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Only 10,000 people bought Concepcion's rookie card, but they all became shortstops.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There you go.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was surprised they didn't throw Piniella on there too but I guess by keeping Martin then someone had to be left out. I'm surprised Steinbrenner was back on. I thought they'd wait another cycle.

I wish for the veteran's ballots if you don't get at least 50 percent of the vote, you can't be on consecutive ballots to open it up.

8. Della9250

Oh,

And I hope they put in all three managers because I wouldn't want to chance any of them dying by the time they would be giving a speech in 2017

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If Miller doesn't get in, it's a joke.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Steinbrenner is HOFer, and I think he probably should be, does Charley Finley get in?

11. Della9250

I would say no on Finley, if only because his success came during such a short time.

A key Steinbrenner point is that in his tenure his team won titles in three decades and played in the World Series in four decades.

Finley's success is basically confined to the early 70s. And its pretty great -- five straight division titles, three straight championships -- but from 1960-68 in Kansas City, his teams never won more than 74 games. Then in Oakland, three of his 13 seasons were 63, 69, and 53 wins.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Steinbrenner never tried to sell off his team.

Draft saved Draft deleted