1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans Ballot. UPDATE: Torre, Cox, La Russa elected

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Joe Torre
    Tony La Russa
    Bobby Cox
    George Steinbrenner
    Marvin Miller
    Dave Concepcion
    Steve Garvey
    Tommy John
    Billy Martin
    Ted Simmons
    Dave Parker
    Dan Quisenberry

Steinbrenner, Miller, Concepcion, Garvey, John, Martin and Simmons are holdovers from 2010
    Vida Blue, Ron Guidry, Al Oliver and Rusty Staub were dropped from the 2010 ballot.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans Ballot.

Torre, LaRussa, Cox, Steinbrenner (as much as I hated him) and Miller

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No arguments for those five. Miller will never get in. The owners would fire Selig on the spot if it happened. Stupid bastards. They make about 100 times more money post-Miller than before him. But it's not about money, it's about losing power.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tommy John is an interesting case. The BBWAA never showed much support at all for his case. I suppose the argument would be that the surgery isn't a tie-breaker, as we're electing the pitcher, not his doctors.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll take the managers (that's Torre, LaRussa, Cox and Martin) for $1,000, Alex.

6. Della9250

Miller got 11 of the 16 votes last time, one short of induction.

Here is this year's voters: Rod Carew, Carlton Fisk, Whitey Herzog, Tom Lasorda, Paul Molitor, Joe Morgan, Phil Niekro and Frank Robinson, Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail, Dave Montgomery, Jerry Reinsdorf, Steve Hirdt, Bruce Jenkins, Jack O’Connell, Jim Reeves

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think Miller gets in, though he's got a better chance now that he's dead. It looks like Montgomery and Reinsdorf are the only owners or former owners (read, definite "no" votes) on the committee, though Beeston, Herzog & MacPhail are former GMs who would have dealt with Miller in that capacity (and MacPhail is the son of a former league president) and Lasorda will vote however Peter O'Malley tells him to vote.

I agree it's La Russa, Torre & Cox for sure. Would be really cool as a Braves fan if Cox, Maddux & Glavine all go in together next summer.

8. Della9250

Last time Concepion got the most votes of a player at 10 votes.

Steinbrenner didn't even get half of the votes the last time, right after his death, when it would have made sense for him to get a lot of support. Unless you believe people punished him for his antics by making him wait, even in death.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There's no Steinbrenner without Miller. No Martin without Steinbrenner. No Torre either.

Bobby Cox and Marvin Miller. Cox has a better win pct. than LaRussa.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

But LaRussa won more than one World Series, although both should have won more.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was covering baseball, it seemed like every time I asked an infielder who his favorite player was as a kid, the answer was Dave Concepcion. I don't know if he's HOF worthy, but he's a player whose impact was definitely not measurable by stats.

Draft saved Draft deleted