1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball hall of fame inductions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

NYT had an intersting piece of Kubek's "return" to baseball Saturday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/sports/baseball/25kubek.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=tony%20kubek&st=cse

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with that. When evaluating a player, it's important to look at how dominant he was at his peak, not simply the longevity or the career numbers. Rice in his prime was one of the most feared hitters in baseball. Yeah, sure, he was helped by the green monster in left field in Boston, but still a dominant player that guys pitched around.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

without looking ar any numbers i can tell you that for at least a 12-season span ('75-86) rice was the most feared batter in the a.l. his star didn't shine as long as others, which is why he fell short of the "automatic" numbers, but he was a hof'er darn long enough. just like mattingly was a sure fire hof'er until his back woes. he had six hof-worthy seasons but probaby needed two or three more.

the two examples in baseball and football where injury-shortened careers made no difference were those of koufax and sayers. their talents were so extraordinary and dominant that their lack of longevity made no difference.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dwight Stephenson, too

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

only i'd say dwight had already played long enough at an all-pro level ht (five times in eight seasons as ALL-PRO, which is a leaguewide honor) to have made it regardless. i mean, he could've just retired and had done enough before being cheap-shotted by marty lyons. but point taken.

sayers' career was incredibly short; baseball players usually require more than five or six super seasons and koufax just had that number -- but he was sooooo extraordinary he could not be denied. 8) 8)

6. Simon_Cowbell

Both five-time All-Pros

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ah, the magic words, "most feared."

There were a bunch of years in the '70s when Dave Parker was much feared, and justifiably so. But he's not a Hall of Famer.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For years, Parker was the far better player....

But how did Rickey get through the speech without speaking in the third person?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I just watched Rickey's speech on youtube. I thought it was incredibly moving. You could tell he was overwhelmed with emotion and humbled by where he was. Seemed very genuine and heartfelt to me.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Always liked Kubek.. was more the sound of baseball to me, or as much anyway, as Scully.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

parker had four 100-rbi seasons in a much spottier career. rice had seven in a much more consistent one. them's the facts.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Andre Dawson now should have the path cleared to go in.

Draft saved Draft deleted