1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball hall of fame inductions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 26, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pot, meet kettle. :)

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know I have posted this before, but what hurt Rice most with voters (a significant percentage of whom are too young to have covered him) is the way he fell off the table at the end of his career. In 1986, he was still a reasonable MVP candidate. By midseason 1988, he was getting benched. This left him short of some valued career numbers marks.
    That's not the way I look at HoF candidates. But it is how a number of voters do, and the rules make such a bloc very powerful If we needed 75 percent of the vote to elect a President, we wouldn't have had one since James Monroe.

3. YankeeFan

If you watched baseball in the late '70's and early '80's you know that Jim Rice is a no-brainer as a Hall of Famer.

4. YankeeFan

Kubek looks like he's having so much fun. What a shame he's not still involved in baseball.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Kubek and Garagiola introduced me to Major League Baseball

6. YankeeFan

Kubek mentioned being in the booth for Aaron's record home run.

Milo Hamilton on the radio call is obviously the (vastly) more famous call.

Does anyone know if it's possible to find/see/hear the NBC call?

I just tried a quick search on YouTube and couldn't find it?

I always find the less famous calls of famous home runs to be interesting & would also be interested in finding some more of them.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hey Rickey, who da hell is Luke Gehrig and Bave Ruff?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tony Kubek was the colour guy for Jays games from '77 to '89 and in my opinion, is still one of the best ever. And now we get stuck with those rotating clowns on Sportsnet.

He was insightful, professional, concise and never afraid to call a spade a fucking shovel. I

He was also my favourite ball player growing up.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There was a story somewhere a while back saying Kubek doesn't watch or follow baseball at all. It wasn't that he's bitter or angry about it, he's just moved on to other things that occupy his time and he doesn't even pay attention to baseball.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not for long!

Where da card game?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Interesting that he had a line today saying "For some reason, baseball has captured America's imagination"... a quote along those lines

12. YankeeFan

I read that too. The '94 strike -- and probably working for Steinbrenner (MSG Network actually) -- was apparently the last straw.

I wonder if today will change anything.

He just really seemed to be enjoying himself. Happy to be around old teammates. His family was there and his love of baseball was obvious.

Draft saved Draft deleted