1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame, Class of '08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 27, 2007.

?

Who would you vote into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

1. Rod Beck (P - 1st year)

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Bert Blyleven (P - 47.7% in 2007)

57 vote(s)
    59.4%
  3. Dave Concepcion (SS - 13.6)

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Andre Dawson (OF - 56.7)

51 vote(s)
    53.1%
  5. Chuck Finley (P - 1st)

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Rich "Goose" Gossage (P - 71.2)

84 vote(s)
    87.5%
  7. Tommy John (P - 22.9)

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  8. David Justice (OF - 1st)

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Don Mattingly (1B - 9.9)

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  10. Mark McGwire (1B - 23.5)

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  11. Jack Morris (P - 37.1)

42 vote(s)
    43.8%
  12. Dale Murphy (OF - 9.2)

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  13. Robb Nen (P - 1st)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  14. Dave Parker (OF - 11.4)

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  15. Tim Raines (OF - 1st)

45 vote(s)
    46.9%
  16. Jim Rice (OF - 63.5)

52 vote(s)
    54.2%
  17. Lee Smith (P - 39.8 )

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  18. Alan Trammell (SS - 13.4)

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Raines is infinitely more qualified than Rice, but unfortunately it'll be a couple of years before he gets in.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Blyleven was a key piece, the #1 or #2 with The Candy Man, of the 1979 Pirates.

He was not always a #3 or #4 on a crappy team.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

One thing I really don't understand is why Tommy John isn't in the Hall just yet. I mean, he only was the first guy to undergo elbow ligament replacement surgery, come back and win 164 of his 288 career wins with a dead guy's body part in his own. A career ERA of 3.34 is also pretty good, especially when you take into account he pitched in 26 seasons across three decades.

Oh, BTW Doc, thank you very much. ;)

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

From 1978-86, there was no slugger feared more than Jim Ed Rice.

I have a random A's-Red Sox game from 1982 on tape and there's a close-up of Rice. Costas: "That face speaks strength."

I voted for him, Blyleven and Gossage. Bert had the best curveball in the majors for years. No other curveball snapped from 12 to 6 like his. And for all those who say Rice's demeanor sucked, Blyleven's did too...didn't he get run out of Texas? I seem to recall the Rangers fans holding up signs like 'Bye bye Bertie' back then.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, after 36 votes, looks like Goose is the only one getting in on the SJ vote. Bert's coming in at 67 percent ... 8 points shy.

For the record, I voted Blyleven, Dawson, Gossage, Morris, Murphy, Raines.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

prediction: some dipshit will be here preaching pete rose by the time page 5 rolls around.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Blyleven was a fine pitcher for a long time, which is admirable, but shouldn't get him in the HOF. No Cy Youngs (nothing better than two third-place finishes, if my glance at his stats was correct), only two All-Star games in 22 years. For every impressive stat like WHIP, he has one that's pretty ordinary. A HOF career should include a period of dominance, and I don't think Blyleven's does. I'll take guys like Rice, Dawson and Gossage, who were feared, even if for relatively short periods, over someone like Blyleven. No knock on him, but he's gotten exactly the kind of HOF treatment his career warrants -- considered seriously, but ultimately rejected.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you curse because you know i'm right. :p

9. There was no way to get to 10 on that list. None.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

With all due respect, joe, this argument is a tautology, and a particularly bad one. Blyleven -- for numerous reasons -- was overlooked for Cy Young consideration while he was a player. To use that as a reason to keep him out of the Hall of Fame merely compounds a mistake.

Furthermore, there are pitchers in the HOF who never won a Cy Young -- and ones with career stats that are less worthy than Blyleven's.

With regard to dominance, top 10 since 1900 in Ks and shutouts certainly feels "dominant" to me.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

One knucklehead's SJ vote: Dawson, Gossage, John, Morris and Rice.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Obviously, there aren't 10 viable candidates on that list, but that's how many votes the BBWAA allows on its ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted