1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 27, 2009.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'd be interested to know if there's ever been a softer stretch than 2011 and 2012. I'm sure that there has been. (Don Sutton's year would be a good place to start looking.) I'm anything but an expert, with something like diminishing interest since the Bosox won their first Series. On gut and personal preferences and not numbers.
    2011: I'd like to see Jeff Bagwell get in but I'm not optimistic that it would be a first ballot or anything close. Rafael Palmeiro's case on numbers is hard to argue against but he brings nothing but numbers to the table. I suspect that he might end up establishing a new HOF Mendoza line but more likely will wait and sweat it out.
    2012: Bernie Williams might be the only one who even qualifies to get on the next year's ballot. Nobody gets in.
    2013: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa ... well, maybe the induction ceremony can be held at Dick Cheney's former digs or some other secured, undisclosed location. Craig Biggio getting the HOF ahead of them would be like Jerry Mathers getting the Oscar ahead of Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable and Cary Grant, which is to say, it feels adorable for a time but hard to feel good about in the long run. Schilling ahead of Clemens would necessarily punish the villian while unnecessarily reward the insufferable.
    2014: Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas with Maddux being the first ballot guy.
    [/quote]

Again, just going on feel rather than numbers, I'd have Dawson, Raines, Baines, R Alomar, Bert Bly, Dale Murphy ... I was a huge fan of Larkin but I don't think he'll get in. A kiss of death for HOF is to be under-rated nationally when active. Likewise Lee Smith. Difference between tomes in the canon and cult classics.

o-<

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

take a look at how Robbie Alomar's numbers jumped during juicing years on a team known to be steroid users.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who were the juicers on the Jays during their WS days? Maybe my vision is clouded as a Jays' fanboi looser but I don't recall any guys who stood out as users.

To me Alomar has got to be a lock. I saw plenty of him live during his Jays' days and he was unreal to watch. If he wasn't the best player in the game at that time there were damn few guys ahead of him.

4. Boom_70

Check out his Baltimore / Cleveland numbers in '97/ '98/ 99/ 00

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ah, OK, I get ya.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no evidence at all against Alomar. None. No voter should hold suspicions like that against him.

Hell, the guys we know used are going to start getting in soon enough, or do you really think Bonds, Sosa and Clemens aren't going to get in?

Better question, Boom. What about Alex Rodriguez? We know he used. Anybody with any sense knows it wasn't just in Texas. Are you going to hold him out, too?

7. Boom_70

By the time ARod comes due the whole story will have blown over.

Just sayin -- the steroid story goes well beyond the sluggers.

8. outofplace

I also agree with buckdub on Martinez. Fantastic hitter, but just not enough numbers to get in as a DH.

Does Dawson really have that much better of a case than Raines? Does the one MVP award put him over the top there? I thought it was interesting how close they ended up in career OPS. Raines finished at .810, partially because he hung on way too long. Dawson's career OPS was .806.

9. outofplace

Absolutely it does, but you've got nothing worth even considering when it comes to proof against Alomar. Hell, the sainted Jeter played with quite a few juicers in his career, too. No career spike? So what? Maybe he did it all along.

To be clear, I'm not accusing Jeter. I'm saying there is every bit as much evidence against him as there is against Alomar -- they both played with juicers.

And regarding Rodriguez, you're saying what he did is okay because you think the story will blow over by then?

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

To me Alomar is a lock. From Toronto, but not really a Jays fanboi, watched him up close for years. The Blue Jays do not win two World Series without him. You could take anyone else off that roster and they still might win. Him, no way.

The biggest argument against him -- and I think it's a fair one -- is that he dropped faster than Morgan or a Sandberg. But, at his best, he was at their level. In fact, this Sandberg geek would take Alomar over him. I ask this honestly, but was there a better defensive second baseman ever? He used to get errors in Toronto when no one else would even get to those balls.

Thought he deserved at least one MVP. In fact, you can look at the guys who did win in the early to mid-90s and I'd take Alomar over them, too.

He did have some character issues -- quitting on the Jays when Cone was traded in 1995. As for the spitting, he made peace with John Hirschbeck and still helps raise money for the charity in Hirschbeck's son's name. Guarantee you that will come up in at least one story. Also, there is a young man in Toronto who has cerebral palsy that Alomar befriended while a player. They still keep in touch, and actually spoke when that ugly story broke about him being HIV-positive. Alomar's worked hard (and quietly) to correct his mistakes.

The biggest issue I have with his candidacy is that stupid McCain punch commercial Canadian SportsJournalists.commers will remember.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Take away Sosa's 5 prime juicing years (1998-2002, 292 HRs) and he's borderline at best...just like McGwire.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There are more to hitting stats than HRs and total hits, too stats that make him look worse than he is. He built most of his value around doubles and walks.

22nd all-time in OBP
    69th all-time in SLG

That's a HOFer.

Draft saved Draft deleted