1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Raines, Blyleven and Morris this year.

Dawson might have a chance.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dawson doesn't belong in. Neither does McGriff. I'm iffy on your other three, Hank. Alomar should be in for sure.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Yea, I don't see Dawson as a HOFer. He might have a chance this year since he did get more than 50 percent last year.

Blyleven might be slightly ahead of Morris. Although one could argue Morris was the dominant pitcher of his era (1980s), or maybe that's the fanboy in me some. I can see reasons for both getting in and both being kept out.

Raines should definitely be in though.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Larkin and Alomar are extremely borderline.

Weak, weak class.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I thought Larkin would have a good shot but after looking at his stats, I don't see it this year. I don't think he was popular enough to overcome the stats.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like Larkin, but he is probably not going to make it in. Lifetime average of .295 and OBP of .371, while playing shortstop, and good for about 15 to 20 steals per year. Position is everything for him - He played most of his career pre-Jeter, A-Rod and Nomar, and was among the best at SS during that time. He managed three gold gloves as well, and while the votes for those are always horrible, his range factor was at or above the league average for most of his career. He's the kind of player that isn't that impressive according to counting stats, but is a clear Hall of Fame player (at least to me) when you consider context.

I'd also vote for Raines, Bert and Alomar. Jack Morris had a smattering of good years here and there, but not a truly incredible one. I think he's more in the Hall of Very Good, with players like Larry Walker, than the hall.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's the old argument that if you have to debate whether a player belongs in the Hall of Fame, he doesn't
    I'd vote Alomar, Larkin and Raines.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, Larkin began his career in 1986, around the mid-point of Ozzie Smith's 13 consecutive Gold Gloves, so he really had very little chance of winning one for a big chunk of his career. Ozzie won his last in '92. Larkin won his three from '94-'96.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're gonna have to explain Alomar's borderline case to me. Dude fell off a cliff at the end and STILL has the best resume of any second baseman in the last 50 years. At least. Joe Morgan couldn't hold his goddamn jock. I look forward to Joe "having to broadcast a game for ESPN" when Alomar gets in.

That said, I don't think Alomar gets in this year. The fade, the spitting incident and the off-field drama he's had since he retired will conspire to keep him below 75 percent. Which is crazy, but you can't expect sanity out of an electorate of more than 500 people.

Other than Alomar, a pretty lean bunch of first-timers, though I think Martinez and Larkin will have some interesting cases after about 10 years on the ballot. I'd go with Alomar, Blyleven, Raines, Trammell, Dawson and Parker...only b/c if Jim Rice is in the Hall, then so should the player who was about 10,000 times better.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Morgan was much better than Alomar. Let's not kid ourselves. He was the best player in baseball for a time; Alomar never was.

11. Hank_Scorpio

It's going to be fairly weak classes for the next three years (2010, 2011, 2012). The 2013 voting could cause some controversy.

2011: Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro, John Olerud, Kevin Brown, Larry Walker, Juan Gonzalez, Tino Martinez, B.J. Surhoff, Marquis Grissom, John Franco, Bret Boone, Al Leiter, Benito Santiago, Carlos Baerga, Raul Mondesi, Bobby Higginson, Wilson Alvarez, Rey Sanchez, Charles Johnson, Jose Offerman, Ugueth Urbina, Ismael Valdez, Dan Wilson, Paul Quantrill, Cal Eldred, Kirk Rueter, Steve Reed

2012: Edgardo Alfonzo, Pedro Astacio, David Bell, Jeromy Burnitz, Vinny Castilla, Scott Erickson, Carl Everett, Jeff Fassero, Alex S. Gonzalez, Danny Graves, Rick Helling, Dustin Hermanson, Jose Hernandez, Brian Jordan, Matt Lawton, Javy Lopez, Bill Mueller, Terry Mulholland, Jeff Nelson, Phil Nevin, Brad Radke, Joe Randa, Tim Salmon, Ruben Sierra, Jose Vizcaino, Bernie Williams, Eric Young

2013: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton, David Wells, Julio Franco, Shawn Green, Steve Finley, Roberto Hernandez, Jeff Cirillo, Jose Valentin, Reggie Sanders, Jeff Conine, Jose Mesa, Royce Clayton, Bob Wickman, Ryan Klesko, Aaron Sele, Woody Williams, Rondell White, Mike Lieberthal, Tony Batista, Mike Stanton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Damian Miller, Todd Walker

2014: Moises Alou, Armando Benitez, Sean Casey, Jose Cruz Jr., Ray Durham, Damion Easley, Jim Edmonds, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grudzielanek, Scott Hatteberg, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent, Jon Lieber, Esteban Loaiza, Paul Lo Duca, Greg Maddux, Matt Morris, Mike Mussina, Trot Nixon, Hideo Nomo, Jay Payton, Kenny Rogers, Richie Sexson, J.T. Snow, Shannon Stewart, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Steve Trachsel, Jose Vidro

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a voter, I solicit opinions on Edgar Martinez. He is the only new candidate on whom I so undecided I could be swayed by new arguments pro or con.
    I will vote for Alomar.

Draft saved Draft deleted