1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot Released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 27, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Morris started Opening Day, the All-Star Game, Game 1 and Game 7 of the World Series in 1991.

Supposedly he's the only player in history start all those in one season.

I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that once. I know it has no bearing on his Hall of Fame status. Just a neat stat, if true. (back to the b-ball preview beast for me!)

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Nope. Alomar was better.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Okay.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

By a mile.

I still can't believe Robbie never made 3,000.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Doc won't like it, but I'll expand a little.

Sandberg has to be majorly downgraded for longetivity. Ryno only ranks in the top 100 of three categories: total bases (3,787, 94th all time), at-bats (8,385, 95th) and outs (6,347, 95th). Yes, he was a clear-cut MVP in 1984 and got a lot more love in the Gold Glove voting (deservedly). But he was only an above-average second baseman for 9 peak years (1984-92, although you could argue for '96 to give him 10), and average-to-below-average for his seven other seasons.

Alomar, meanwhile, is a career .300 hitter, although he got out just in time. He ranks 40th all time in stolen bases (474), 41st in doubles (504), 51st in hits (2,724), 51st in "times on base" (3,806), 56th in at-bats (9,073), 58th in runs (1,508), 58th in singles (1,930), 70th in total bases (4,018), 79th in games played (2,379), 94th in walks (1,032) ... sure, he's also 50th in "outs made" (6,914) and 66th in GIDP (206).

You could strongly make the case that Alomar is one of the top 100 position players of all time, and he's easily in the top 3-5 second baseman of all time (definitely behind Hornsby and Morgan ... but not by much.) ... Yes, he only led the league in runs once, only four Gold Gloves (Sandberg was a better fielder), and only once in the top-3 of MVP voting. ... But his peak was, arguably, from 1989-2001 -- that's 13 seasons, and he only had four average-to-below-average seasons otherwise.

Alomar's peak was longer and his career was longer. His career was better, and you could make a strong case that Alomar's peak even was better than Sandberg's (that's the only place where Ryno might have an edge.) But there's really no argument here.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're right, I don't like it. But I'll respectfully agree to disagree. (See how easy that is, pube?)

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Except, when I lay out that sort of case, and I have done it many times, you do anything but respectfully agree to disagree.

Conversely, if anyone ever made that sober of a case counter to one of my opinions, I, also, would respectfully agree to disagree or, in line with being a big man, say, "fuck, buck, you know what.... you're right."

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, Doc, you're not the only one I have to fear ripping me apart in rage if I downgrade Ryno to mortal status. :D

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

My point being -- Sandberg was a better defensive player and a comparable offensive player. He was the best defensive second baseman of the last 25 years. I saw him in person close to 100 times. He made tough plays look routine, but because he didn't dive very often, most people tend to overlook his glove. If Ozzie Smith can get in mostly because of his defense, why doesn't Sandberg deserve to make it?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow, TGD... I would say the biggest difference between the two was defensively.... and not in Ryno's favor.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, Ryno was better defensively. He just wasn't flashy. But he got to more balls, and played them cleaner.

And I would never argue that Sandberg shouldn't get in. He deserved (and deserves) HOF induction. ... But he's not better than Alomar.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Alomar had more range than Wyoming.

Draft saved Draft deleted