1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot Released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Longevity.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fernandez was the one of those four I hedged on a bit. But I think you agree he'd be a really ugly reach.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Ripken and Gwynn.

If you factor in past mistakes, such as Sutter and Sandberg getting inducted, then you should probably add Gossage and Trammell. I wouldn't vote for any of those guys.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, the greatest second baseman since Joe Morgan retired getting elected to the Hall of Fame was a travesty. ::)

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I didn't say it was a travesty. I don't think Sandberg is a Hall of Famer.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1991. Game 7.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ryno's a HOFer. Like Rice, I woulda felt more comfortable if he had played longer. But he was definitely a HOFer, especially in the context of when he played.

The guys that starred in the 1980s are getting the absolute shaft because of how inflated numbers have become in the last decade and a half.

Gossage should have been in before Sutter. The Goose was a Hall of Famer when he played -- he's a Hall of Famer now.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Sandberg is a fringe guy. Put him in and you have to put in other fringe guys, like Biggio and Whitaker.

Alomar is the best 2B since Morgan, by the way.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rice could make it. NESN has been dressing him up pretty the last few years as an analyst, his smile alone enough to light the studio. People have been clamoring for him to get in, New Englanders at least. Might this be the year?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll go with the "fix" theory. Gwynn and Ripken only two that get in and the day is painted by MLB as a flowery celebration of baseball purity. You'll want to vomit by the end of the day, even if you loved Gwynn and Ripken.

It's like Jayson Stark said on his espn.com blog, the steroid argument and HOF is just starting, with many long years ahead. This first year is easy, as McGwire can be brushed aside like many other worthy players who didn't go first-ballot. But when his name starts sitting there for years like Blyleven, Gossage, Rice, and others from his dirty era clog the ballot, it's going to be much harder to ignore.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sandberg's a fringe guy, but within his era, he was pretty dominant. I don't think he compares to Hornsby, Morgan and Alomar, among 2Bs all time, but I don't think you can keep him out of Cooperstown, either.

The problem with the HOF has always been one of the problems with the HOF -- are we talking about, say, the best 100, 250, pick-a-standard-here players of all time ... or are we talking about players who were the greatest players, the most dominant, of their era?

Because Sandberg certainly doesn't qualify in the former, but I think there's no question he's among the latter.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Batting average and OBP are comparable, as was slugging percentage. Sandberg has one less Gold Glove, also has an MVP and two other top-5 finishes, and more Silver Slugger awards. Alomar never finished higher than third in MVP voting, and never led the league in any major statistical category. He also spit on an ump, which may be a sticking point with HOF voters.

Care to rephrase?

Draft saved Draft deleted