1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball dropped foul ball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If a catcher drops a foul pop up, it is an error, right?

Moreover, if it is an error, there's two outs, and the batter eventually reaches to extend the inning, all runs scored thereafter are unearned, right?

It ignited quite a debate in the press box I was in, I think the yokels who argued otherwise are dead wrong.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm pretty sure it's an error, same as if a guy reached on a strikeout/passed ball. It should've been the third out.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Error. Treated like any other error.

I knew an SID who said "No, we have to wait and see if he gets on base."

No. It extended the at-bat, and it's an error. Period.

But ... the same "reasonable effort" rules apply. Simple drop? Yeah, an error. Dives but can't hold on to it? Not an error.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Really depends on the context.

If the foul pop is one where the catcher (or any other fielder) can camp under it to catch it, yet drops it, then it's an error.

If it's one where the fielder has to exert himself (i.e. dive, lunge into the dugout), then it's no play.

As far as the error goes, if the inning would have been over, then the any runs should be unearned.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does it matter whether its high school or college? I know it's a MLB error. I can't think of a logical reason why there should be a difference.

And this catcher camped ... it was a very makeable play. It popped in and out of his glove.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't think there's a difference. An error is an error is an error.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Error, and all subsequent runs are unearned.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

You are exactly right. E2, though the batter is not charged with an at-bat (at the time). So if he/she sould get a hit, it still counts as a hit. But the error is treated (in your case) as any subsequent runs are unearned.

A run scoring on a PB is unearned, but a WP is earned. That's a big difference there. They created the PB so the C isn't charged with so many Es.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Standards of reasonable effort are different in high school and college based on the skill level.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I give a hell of a lot of leeway at the high school level. Even college, to a degree. Some scorers I've seen are brutal, though. If it touches the mitt, they give them an error. I think that's ludicrous. It has to be pretty obvious to me.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When I'm scoring a game ... on a foul ball, it has to be a clear, C was camped under the ball and flat-out dropped it drop to be an error.

But if that batter reaches base, or if it would've been the 3rd out, all runs are unearned.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

How can you catch a ball you can't get a glove on? Hence, no error. But it is a cheap hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted