1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball draft question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jun 8, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Danny Almonte was passed over in the draft last year. He is 19 years old (I think).

He now plays for the Southern Illinois Miners of the independent Frontier League, a professional (albeit unaffiliated) league ... he has been paid.

Is he still draft eligible?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's free to sign with whoever he wants to.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

So he CAN NOT be drafted this year, right?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Thanks.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have him say hi to Matt Harrington for us.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Wow ... I'd forgotten about Harrington (just like most of America, probably). The guy's a living, breathing cautionary tale.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought the question would be, "Is it ridiculous that the baseball draft goes for 50 rounds?"

Answer: Yes, yes it is.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It doesn't necessarily go 50 rounds. A team can pass twice without making a selection. If every team does that before the 50th round, the draft is over.

And look at it this way, each team has 5-6 minor league teams to fill (AAA, AA, High A, Low A, Rookie, Short-Season). Most short seasons rosters are filled with players from this draft.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I know there's good reason for it, but it's still crazy nuts.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It used to be worse than that. Wasn't Piazza drafted in the 60th round and only because his father was a friend to Lasorda?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Think of all the scrapbooks it helps fill. Now mommy can say little Johnny was selected in the MLB draft and probably forget to add he was drafted 1,792 overall.

Draft saved Draft deleted