1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball darkest moments?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 18, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He admits to taking a lot of different things that he might test positive for and you still give him the benefit of the doubt? That's your preogative if you want to live in naive land.

And if you really believe that Irod, Piazza and Bagwell didn't take PED's I have some nice land in Detroit for you to buy.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not many, but if you are "popular" it shouldn't matter.

Super Bowl ratings dropped only a tiny amount (from 47 to 42) from 1980 to 2010.

WS ratings dropped from 32 to 11.

In other words, the public's message to baseball is, "Give us something --- anything --- else to watch, and we will flee."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Professional sports owners need to break out their dusty old economics books they never looked at in college and review the chapter on supply and demand determining prices.

Pro sports owners have always operated on the equation, "when my costs go up, I get to raise prices."

Sure you do. But that doesn't mean the customers have to buy.

Want to sell those seats?

LOWER YOUR PRICES.

Hell, if you have to, give them away free. One incontrovertible law of sports marketing: An empty seat never buys a hot dog and a beer.

Ahhhhhhhh, bullshit, before steroids we had cocaine, before cocaine we had greenies, before greenies we had corked bats, doctored pitches, sign-stealing, lethal beanballs, systematic racism, collusion, virtual-slavery player contracts, game-fixing, for 70+ years now we've had franchise owners extorting taxpayers for stadiums, etc etc.

The game hasn't been "innocent" since the 1860s.

4. BTExpress

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do you think that's the public's aversion to baseball, or to the World Series specifically? I watch probably 80 games a year, set my schedule to my team whenever I can. And if my boys are not in it, I just cannot bear to sit through a four-hour game narrated by Joe Buck. The commercials and the delays have bastardized postseason baseball to the point that it isn't enjoyable.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In the past 10 years baseball has more than doubled its revenue to $6.8 billion. Not bad for such a dark moment in time.

7. BTExpress

That's pretty much what killed it for me.

There simply should not be time for 12 different camera shots in between pitches, alternating between pitcher, fans, batter and managers.

Game 7, 1960: 19 runs, 24 hits, 7 pitching changes . . . played in 2:36.

Game 2, 2009: 4 runs, 14 hits, 4 pitching changes . . . played in 3:25.

What's wrong with this picture?

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I made no comments or judgements on either Johnson, Pizza, etc. or steroids in any way. I was obviously mocking the media's perception of "innocence" as well. Please read my posts again - but with the satiricle spin intended.

I already said that I do not doubt Johnson. I am only questioning the media/some fan's lack of interest in this story, but when even less incriminaring info. comes out regarding some players - they pounce on the story like a jaguar on a mule.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Perhaps their crap owners don't.
    But their fans do.
    And Cran, saying baseball is more popular than it's ever been is the same as saying the American economy is stronger than it was in 1999 because the GDP is higher. People go to games more now for a lot of reasons, and the actual baseball is less of that reason than it's ever been.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So they reject games on free TV, but pay for tickets and $7 beers? I'm guessing that's OK with the owners.

Draft saved Draft deleted