1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball darkest moments?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 18, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here's Johnson's quote

http://www.faniq.com/article/Randy-Johnson-says-its-more-than-possible-he-might-have-taken-banned-substances-before-MLB-testing-started-1757558

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Number of times he fanned 300 batters before the age of 34 - 1.

Number of times he did it after 34 - 5.

Oh, add Schilling to that list. Gonzo could have shot them up in the D'back locker room. Heck, Finley could have been in that que as well.

Bottom line, everyone is a suspect.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I've been maintaining. The stuff is out there. You can take it to help your career, or not. Most people did. And if it was "because everyone else is, and how else am I supposed to compete?" . . . it's hard to argue with that.

You're 35 years old. A juiced Roger Clemens just struck you out three times. A juiced young slugger on your team is waiting to take your job. What are you gonna do?

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

* When baseball settled a labor deal in 2005 that did not include salary cap. Pretty much assured baseball would go in this direction for the succeeding decade. The occasional quirk (Reds, Padres, Rays) does not and will not change the fact that the World Series title remains the province of a few rich, huge-market teams.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

By "in this direction" do you mean record attendance and record revenues and record profits?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd bet money that Schilling juiced.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The collusion of the mid-1980s was a dreadful low point. Basically the owners tried to go back to the reserve clause in place before the mid-1970s without clueing the players in. Brutal.

As much pub as steroids get, I'd have to say the coke trials were just as bad. The top stars of that era pretty much were all involved in the white stuff at one point or another.

There's times I wish I could forget the 1994 cancellation took place, but that's not going to happen.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember going to an A's game at the end of the '93 season - there was a sense of finality to it, the team was selling off merch at bargain prices. The game has never been the same for me. It used to be like brushing your teeth, it was a part of your day. Now, I don't bother getting to know the new players, I don't really care. I know now that baseball is not like life or will "always be there no matter what." I'll watch during the post-season and check the standings at the end of every month, but the day in, day out fandom just hasn't been there since.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm kind of the same way, although I think covering the sport is what ruined it for me. Now, I'll go to a game once or twice a year for social reasons and watch only if a team I like makes the playoffs.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And being left in the dust by the NFL. Yeah.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe he means the World Series being something to buy rather than earn, which is what happened last year.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, no, if anything it's gained on the NFL in terms of revenue and profits over the last 10-15 years. But that's a clever thing to toss out when you don't make any sense whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted