1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball darkest moments?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Racism was absolutely a permanent condition in this country from when the first slaves came off from the boat. And the Constitution counted slaves as 3/5 of a person. And "Normal society" back then meant, "The (insert derogatory word that rhymes with trigger) better know their place, or we'll show them with a rope."

Yes, there were a handful of blacks in organized baseball in the 19th century. And they were treated horribly. Frank Grant, a star second baseman in the 1880s had to shift to the outfield because he kept on being slashed with spikes on purpose by runners sliding into second base.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You should read Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States." He makes a strong argument that black and white and Indian all got along well in the lower income class, until the rich landowners (the ones who put the 3/5 clause on the books) promoted policies that turned the various factions of the lower class against each other instead of against the rich themselves, who knew they could be overtaken in a heartbeat if the poor ever rose up in revolt.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have read Zinn's book, and it occupies a nice place on my shelf. My favorite part is during a late 1800s railroad strike in Pennsylvania, the powerful railroad interests had the leaders arrested, only the juries were all sympathetic to the strikers and acquitted them, which when you think about it, was pretty dumb of the railroad.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Steroids/HGH, Black Sox, Strike...

Take your pick, but Pete Rose might need to be mentioned along with the trading of Frank Robinson at the prime of his career.

I think coke is overrated because probably just as many players drank their careers away than snorted it up their nose.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rose thing matters little to me, because it doesn't really sully a baseball memory nor tarnish anything that happened on the field.

From the fans' viewpoint . . .

As a player, he tried every inning, tried to win and broke the hit record.

As a manager he tried to win every game.

Yes, there was this nasty matter of betting on his team to win . . . . but it's not anything that conjures up dark memories for any baseball fan.

"Hey, what's Pete doing keeping that starter in so long? He's going to ruin the guy's career."

"Ah, Pete don't care about that. He just needs to win this game 'cause he's got $50K riding on it."

Could that have happened? I suppose. Did it? Not to my knowledge.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rose doesn't bother me that much because anyone who ever watched him play knows that he never tanked it. That's not to excuse what he did...

Most of the best players in the last 20 years are strongly suspected of using PEDs, if they weren't caught outright.

A-Rod
    Bonds
    McGwire
    Palmeiro
    Giambi
    Clemens
    Pettitte
    Sheffield
    Sosa
    Canseco

But other than that, baseball's last 20 years have been fantastic. :)

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

That's all good and well, but they are other players that had amazing careers or are having good careers and are not suspected of steroids,

Thomas
    Griffey
    Halladay
    Delgado
    Chipper Jones
    Guerrero
    Pedro
    Randy Johnson
    Schilling
    Maddux
    Glavine
    Smoltz

The list goes on and on, it's a shame that PED's were never banned a long time ago, but Selig is in charged, what do you expect.

8. 93Devil

I would be amazed if Johnson didn't juice the last third of his career.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Johnson all but admitted to taking something.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see that you know for sure these players weren't juicing. The last 20 years were a far more level playing field than people are wanting to admit.

just to clarify, I have no idea if these players juiced or not but I'm not naive enough to make it a statement of fact. How many times to people have to get burned before they stop assuming one way or another.

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Where did I say these players didn't juice?

I said here is a list of players who have not been suspected of taking steroids. There's a huge difference.

12. 93Devil

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted