1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball darkest moments?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

In one of the game's great rivalries, a star player - a future Hall of Famer - wielded a piece of game equipment against an opponent. With lethal and malicious intent.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When Roy Hobbs knocked out that bank of lights with a home run. You couldn't see a damn thing in that ballpark after that.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When the Cubs won the ... oh yeah ... never mind.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The above text loaded before the picture. I was expecting to see Rocket Richard of Montreal bludgeoning Hal Laycoe of Boston toward the end of the 1954-55 NHL season. Hey, it exactly fits the description of Marichal-Roseboro, and it happened 10 years earlier! :D

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I did mention it in my OP.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you have not read this by Bill Conlin (Philly Daily News) you might want to check it out.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/bill_conlin/20100830_Bill_Conlin__Strasburg_injury_no_surprise_to_one_mechanic.html

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadir_of_American_race_relations

Racism wasn't a permanent condition in this country. The hatred didn't really manifest itself nationwide until years after the Civil War. Blacks were a part of normal society until the Nadir began. They were also in baseball before this mindset took root. Then again, this is something you're not told about in school.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I agree with starman on this. When the racists enjoy majority support, that's not easy to overcome. And most Americans did believe in 'separate but equal'.

The victims of 'separate but equal' had their work cut out for them to change public opinion.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

How does the disco riot not make anyone's list?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In that genre, the cheap beer night in Cleveland would top it.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Mr. Kekich, Mrs. Peterson."

"Mr. Peterson, Mrs. Kekich."

(Oh, and when Joe Pepitone introduced hair spray and blow-dryers into clubhouses for that tarantula he wore on his head.)

Draft saved Draft deleted