1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

How old is your daughter? "Bone" and "Leave It To Chance" are two past series that can be picked up in collected form. I highly recommend both for anyone regardless of age or gender.

2. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

My favorite cards are

Bobby Hull-auto
    Willie Mays patch auto # to 25
    Colt McCoy 5 patch auto # to 25

These are just my three favorite cards but I'm a huge collector, but also a poor one haha so I can't afford to bust cards very often

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Too bad it isn't 1989 Fleer. You could give every kid one of the 10+ variants of Billy Ripken's "Fuck Face" card.

4. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

my favorite card is the 76 payton rookie i pulled out a pack at a card show back in 1987 or so. my best friend at the time and i both bought a pack. he opened first. i opened second. i just love looking at that card sometimes. lots of great memories...

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

This is me. When I was a kid I figured I'd be driving a Corvette with the proceeds from my baseball cards. Now the plastic tubs are probably worth more.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In 1988, my uncle bought a shoebox of basketball cards from one of his neighbors. He didn't open the box, he just paid the kid $3. He gave me the box, he still hadn't opened it.

There were about 400 cards in the box. 398 weren't worth a shit. Then there were the two cards in cheap plastic sleeves. The Michael Jordan Star 1985 card and the Magic-Bird-Erving rookie... I remember just screaming and screaming...

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Pringle, if you have a little time and you want to read about how the industry went to pot, crack open "Mint Condition" by Dave Jamieson: http://www.amazon.com/Mint-Condition-Baseball-American-Obsession/dp/0802119395. Just realized my copy isn't on the shelf. Hope I just packed it away in storage.

Bad Guy Zero, a second for "Bone", which is also available in about a dozen collected volumes (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Vol-1-Out-Boneville/dp/0439706408/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319080562&sr=1-2) or one massive volume that has the whole story: http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-One/dp/188896314X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319080562&sr=1-1.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Some of my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Three

I still have time to get her into the comics. I got my first one (a $.25 Tarzan when I was four).

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I always loved my 1980 Rickey Henderson rookie card. I was born in 1977, so I just missed the cutoff for where my cards would have actually been worth something these days, both monetarily and prestige-wise/coolness factor.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know about that... 1984-88 were great years to be collecting and the cards that were put out, with the exception of the horseshit 1987 and 1988 Topps sets were pretty high quality... A large chunk of my collection is from those years that had Mattingly, Clemens, Puckett, McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, Gooden, Strawberry's rookies... After 1989, the Upper Deck cards were the only ones worth a shit. Then I think it was 1990 when all the inserts started coming...

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Very creepily whisper to a petrified kid:

"What you've got there is a genuine Vaughn Hayes Diamond King. Run, don't walk home lest someone try and take it from you! RUN! RUN!"

Draft saved Draft deleted