1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Oct 15, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I give away football cards to boys under the age of about 10 coming to the door at Halloween and they always love it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's awesome... I'm guessing it's pretty expensive to do since packs all seem to be $1.99 these days...

My best friend's son, who I am the Godfather to, for his baptism present I gave him the complete sets of baseball, football and basketball cards from the year he was born.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Tangent: I live in the suburbs, and the most trick-or-treaters I've ever had in a year is 3. Do kids still go out to random houses, or is mostly just people bringing their kids to classmates' and friends' houses now?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ditto, but I put two in every pre-bagged candy bag, no matter the gender or age.

5. 93Devil

That is a great gift.

Mizzou, go to your local card shop (if there is one) and look at all their commons from the last two years. They will sell you 200 for $20 no problem.

6. 93Devil

I would love to find a set to collect with my daughter, but I really don't want to spend more than $2 for 20 cards. And I don't care about the resale value. That is what screwed up this industry - greedy fuckers.

Also, is there a comic book out there I can buy my daughter? Super heroes are just fine, but I don't want all the killing.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Occupy Topps!

8. Mizzougrad96

Maybe I'll start giving away 1988 Fleer commons to trick or treaters?

Hi Timmy, you get a Kevin Seitzer.

Hello Billy, you get a Joey Cora.

9. 93Devil

I actually screen the cards into two piles - one of current players who a kid might know (Boldin, Rice, Sanchez, Romo) and players they probably do not know (o-line, kickers). Each kid gets one from each stack.

10. Mizzougrad96

That will be different from my house...

"What do you mean you've never heard of Joe Orsulak?"

11. suhlmann12

suhlmann12 New Member

Your best bet would be Topps Opening Day (for baseball) or Topps Kickoff (for football). They sell for 99 cents a pack since they don't feature the fancy autographs and other stuff. It's a smaller set so it's usually players kids know and it's easy to collect. The subsets feature mascots and other things that will appeal to them.

12. Mizzougrad96

OK, for the collectors here, what are your best or favorite cards?

Mine would be:

1975 George Brett mini
    1959 Bob Gibson
    1959 Mickey Mantle
    1967 Mickey Mantle
    1968 Mickey Mantle
    1955 Ted Williams
    1968 Johnny Bench
    1965 Steve Carlton
    1981 Joe Montana
    1985 Michael Jordan
    1981 Magic Johnson/Julius Erving/Larry Bird