1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 18, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've decided to hang on to all of mine (including my 181 Jose Canseco cards) for another 10 years to see if anybody decides to start a cult or something fun to make a worthless piece of paper worth something.
    Who knows -- maybe it will help pay for my kids' school some day.

EDIT -- I see this thread has been bootsed.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand dyepack has some extra time on his hands.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A holiday fit to fight Steak & BJ Day for calendar supremacy.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

My father MADE me keep all of my baseball and hockey cards. But this thread made me think of something. I went up to college for freshman orientation weekend with my family, and at one point we all went out to lunch and walked by a sports card/memorabilia story. I went in and found some unopened Topps packs that were four or five years old. With the gum still in them. My brother bitched and whined that we had to stop at the card store, he was hungry, waaah, so to shut him up I gave him a stick of petrified gum and didn't say anything until after the fact, when he made a comment that the gum tasted like dirt. "I have plenty more if you want it," I told him. He didn't complain for the rest of the weekend.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've been a collector since 1977 and have about 300,000 cards.

All but 100 or so are as worthless as tits on a boar. But I always loved the nostaglia of trying to complete sets and the good old days when I could trade with my friends.

Haven't put much money into them in a few years until the 2007 Topps intrigued me. Yes, I got a Derek Jeter card with Bush and Mantle, but I watch the value go down every day on eBay.

I don't collect for investment, but for fun. And I have several hero collections that I'll probably leave to my son.

Draft saved Draft deleted