1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball can be fantastically goofy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FireJimTressel.com, Mar 26, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I covered a game once where both pitchers took no-hit bids into the fifth inning. The score at the time was 6-4.

Sloppiest game ever. :p

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Score tied 3-3, runner on 3rd, bottom of the 7th inning, one out.

Line drive to center field, caught. Runner on 3rd tags up and heads for home.

Center fielder rears back and throws a laser into home.

And as the ball sailed 15 feet wide right and over the backstop, before bouncing on pavement toward the parking lot ... I could only help but laugh out loud.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Coach moved me to catcher the next game.

4. donaugust

donaugust Member

It's not unusual.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My first game as an umpire in Indiana... .34-1 contest... Of course, my high school alma mater once beat a team 67-0. Yes, 67.

sometime high school ball sucks. but it can be fun to watch.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Covered plenty of softball in my past life, including the Big League World Series in Kalamazoo three straight summers.

One of those games featured a 9-1 putout at first base. Another, IIRC, featured a 9-2-5-6-2 double play. I remember writing that play resembled more of a zip code than an actual double play.

The quirky play I remember came from the baseball Super Regional two years ago, when Fullerton was playing Arizona St. The Titans were playing like crap, yet won the game when the ASU pitcher balked home the winning run in the bottom of the ninth.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I guess calling that the "Murrieta, Calif." would be a little too obtuse.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Nice.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well played.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

What about one of these kinds of teams:
    Thomas, Jones (6), Thomas (6) and Jones, Thomas (6), Jones (6)?

Love HS girls softball.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I saw this game once where a guy hit a home run, it hit the stadium light standard and everybody was showered in slow-motion sparks for 10 minutes or more ...

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn.

I saw that too. Where were you sitting?

Draft saved Draft deleted