1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball brawls, culture and ethnicity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Oct 2, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Every one?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

John Baker, the catcher, wrote a great piece on "perceptions"

Playing the right way?

Love the ending; absolutely fabulous.

Here's hoping Bud Norris crawls into a hovel and stays there for the rest of his life.

Hopefully the message will someday get across, nothing is static, its ever changing. 20 years ago you were "pimping" just getting out of the box and adjusting your batting gloves. Stop trying to holding everyone to the "book."

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They beat Brett Laurie in the playoffs last year?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I might be missing one, but there was the Ventura - Trout thing in Anaheim, bunches of A's versus Escobar, Herrera, etc (though I was mistaken thinking for a minute Lawrie was with Oakland for the playoffs last year), Samardzija was right in the middle of it in the Chicago fight and Donaldson was a big talker in the Toronto dustup.

6. SnarkShark

It's in the USA Today piece...

The Kansas City Royals were involved in four such episodes in the season’s first three weeks, and Dominican-born pitcher Yordano Ventura was a participant in three of them, against Mike Trout, Brett Lawrie (Canadian) and Adam Eaton.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I only live to serve ...

In 2015, MLB's 25-man rosters broke down racially as follows:

Race %
    White 58.8
    Latino 29.3
    Black 8.3
    Asian 1.2
    Other 2.4

If every fight involved simply two random draws from this probability distribution, this is what we'd see:

Combination %
    White-White 34.6
    White-Latino 17.2
    White-Black 4.9
    White-Asian 0.7
    White-Other 1.4
    Latino-Latino 8.6
    Latino-Black 2.4
    Latino-Asian 0.4
    Latino-Other 0.7
    Black-Black 0.7
    Black-Asian 0.1
    Black-Other 0.2
    Asian-Asian 0.0
    Asian-Other 0.0
    Other-Other 0.1

About 28% of the fights would involve two different races. Whitey fighting Whitey would still be No. 1, with Whitey fighting Latino a distant second.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That doesn't add up to 100%.

9. SnarkShark

So, it's pretty statistically significant that half of the fights have been Latino vs. White.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read it. Boiling down what happened in Chicago to Ventura hitting Eaton is way over simplifying things.

My main point was that every team the Royals got into it with this season had a lot of guys who watched Kansas City get a little over the top with celebrations last fall. That includes the White Sox the night the Royals clinched a playoff berth.

I was mistaken about Lawrie, but he's just a prick. :)

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes he is, he'd make a good Royal:)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shit, you're right. I did 'em as combinations and not permutations and wound up undercounting. For all the "mixed" brawls, double those percentages.

Whitey vs. Whitey is still No. 1, but White vs. Latino is a virtual tie (34.6% to 34.5%). About 56% of the brawls would be mixed-race events.

Given a sample of 67 brawls, if the White-Latino fight proportion truly were 0.345, there'd be only about a 0.0026 probability of there being 34 or more.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted