1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball beat writing jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by soontobegrad, Jul 7, 2007.

1. umm ...

preps does have its specific challenges, but having covered years of preps and spent many years on a competitive pro beat, it's not even in the same universe

that said, some very good advice in here

leo1 nails it

focus on reporting well and writing good, clean copy and don't be hung up on a specific sport. you'll only limit yourself

2. Shootist

Shootist Guest

I'll add one more piece of advise. If anyone at your paper ever approaches you about covering news-side stuff, don't run away. You'll hate every minute of it, but it's outrageously easy and you'll develop as a reporter at a high rate than you would writing the same high school basketball story 35 times per season.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Hate to say it, but Shootiest is right. I caught on right outta school at my shop doing sports and news with the understanding that I'd be only sports after a few months. They kept their word, fortunately. Hated every minute of the news stuff, but it helps you get a better understanding of how beats work, even if it makes you completely insane.

4. soontobegrad

soontobegrad Guest

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

I've probably learned more about the business in the past couple of days from this thread than I have in all of my classes combined...I feel like I'm well-trained in AP style and this and that, but I hardly know anything about the realities of the industry. Maybe journalism schools should consider offering classes that tutor kids on how to navigate the newspaper business, especially since it's changing so much and so fast.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it was refreshing to have a college-aged guy ask a question and then not get pissed off at the answers.

good luck.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Man, I know exactly where you're coming from. My own college experience was learning far more working for a student-run daily than sitting in the classrooms of phDs who used to work at the Wall Street Journal and St Louis Post Dispatch and listening to their stories. Some of it was valuable, but the practical stuff I learned on the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted