1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball beat, Charlotte Sun (Port Charlotte, FL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FreddiePatek, May 1, 2012.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

We had 70 applicants within 24 hours of posting this on journalismjobs.com. We probably aren't gonna make you rich this way, but you'll get some hardcore experience. Also, we might have another opening soon (pending management approval), so if you don't make the cut this time, we might still have you on our radar. ... If you haven't seen this yet and are interested, move quickly, amigos:

Company: Sun Coast Media Group, Inc.
    Position: Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 3, 2012
    Job ID: 1354059

Description:

The Charlotte Sun, a small (28,000 summer/50,000 winter), family owned daily located on the Southwest Florida coast, seeks a versatile journalist to join the seven-person team producing our community-oriented sports section.

We are looking for someone to handle the beat for our community’s Class A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays, share spring training beat coverage of the parent club and handle general assignment duties for high school and local sports.

Candidates should have clips that show their ability to identify, develop and produce memorable feature and enterprise work in addition to producing event coverage that doesn't rely on play-by-play. Strong organization, time-management and storytelling skills are essential.

A journalism or related college degree is required. Photography and social media skills are preferred as is the ability to speak Spanish. Familiarity with InDesign and InCopy, strong copy editing skills, command of AP style and basic design skills are desired. The ability to handle an occasional desk shift is a plus. While experience is an advantage, talented newcomers will be considered.

Send cover letter, resume and work samples to Mark L. Lawrence, Deputy Sports Editor at mlawrence@sun-herald.comor at 23170 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor, FL 33980. No phone calls.

The Sun Coast Media Group is an equal opportunity employer that has been hiring throughout the past three years. Our employees have never been forced to take a furlough, and there has been only one round of layoffs in company history. We are a nicotine-drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug/nicotine testing is required.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

"We are a nicotine-drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug/nicotine testing is required."

Whoa. I'm a non-smoker and always have been, but I can't believe you can legally test someone for nicotine use and bar them from employment as a result. This really blows my mind.

3. FreddiePatek

Has to do with the company's insurance. It's not a deal-breaker but it will very adversely affect how much you pay in to the insurance.

4. BlackBerry

BlackBerry New Member

A number of places have actually started this practice in the past decade. I believe 60 Minutes did a report on it a few years back. If I recall correctly, they found a correlation between high morale and good health. Seems logically, really.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're an occasional smoker, say one or two a day tops, a week should clear your system. Regular smokers may need to quit for up to three weeks to pass a nicotine test.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Beautiful area, and I'll vouch for Mark, as well as the outgoing SE, Patrick Obley. Good folks.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This could be a fun gig. I worked there many years ago, so it has changed a lot, but you're close to some very nice beaches and Boca Grande. You won't make a ton of money, but it's pretty cheap living, at least when I was there.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Makes sense. Just made me feel all libertariany when I first read it. And I'm not even a libertarian.

9. JPW

JPW New Member

Looks like an awesome opportunity. I absolutely love minor league baseball, just something so fun and usually quirky. Sent in my materials for sure, hope I can be one of the "talented newcomers" still considered. Applying to jobs at least makes graduation and unemployment feel more fun.

10. My stuff will be sent that way by tomorrow

11. FreddiePatek

Very awesome everyone. Seen some good stuff come across the email and snail mail already. Mark would like everyone to know that if they get a bounceback on their email, just wait a while and resend. Our company email baskets do not have a ton of available space, but he's clearing it as quickly as we can. Went over the 100 mark by early Tuesday afternoon. Keep 'em coming.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Harpoon Harry's in Punta Gorda for post-interview dinner and drinks. Yummy.

Draft saved Draft deleted