1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball beat at Charlotte Sun (Port Charlotte, FL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FreddiePatek, Oct 16, 2013.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Company: Sun Coast Media Group, Inc.
    Position:
    Sports Journalist
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    November 12, 2013
    Job ID: 1534075

Description:

VERSATILE SPORTS JOURNALIST

Sun Newspapers, a small (28,000 summer/50,000 winter), family owned daily located on the Southwest Florida coast, seeks a versatile journalist to join the seven-person team producing our community-oriented sports section.

We are looking for someone to handle the beat for our community’s Class A and rookie league affiliates of the Tampa Bay Rays, take the lead on our spring training beat coverage of the parent club and handle general assignment duties for high school and local sports.

Candidates' clips should show the ability to produce memorable feature and enterprise work using creative nonfiction techniques in addition to event coverage that doesn't rely on play-by-play.

Prior beat experience (preferably baseball) in college and/or during an internship is critical. A journalism or related college degree is required. Photography and digital skills, as applied to a beat, are preferred as is the ability to speak Spanish. Familiarity with InDesign and InCopy, strong copy editing and time management skills, command of AP style and basic design skills are pluses.

Send cover letter, resume and work samples to Mark L. Lawrence, Sports Editor, at sunsportsrecruiting@gmail.com or to 23170 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor, FL 33980. No phone calls.

The Sun Coast Media Group is an equal opportunity employer that has been consistently hiring during the past four years. Our employees have never been forced to take a furlough, and there has been one round of layoffs in company history. We are a nicotine- and drug-free workplace; pre-employment drug/nicotine testing is required.

######

This is a repost of an opening the paper has been trying to fill for some time. The folks here have had a battle on their hands filling positions. Several times now, a candidate has been offered here only to take another (often better paying) gig. Also had a few writers move up the ladder to other publications in recent months.

I know quite a bit about this place, so PM me if you need to do a little intelligence gathering.

The community itself got a bit of a bad rap years ago for being dead for anyone under, say, age 95. But a lot of that has changed in the past 5-10 years. And if you like to get outdoors, I have to say this area is as good as it gets.

2. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

I worked here two months ago and would be happy to answer any questions you might have

3. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Is the pay really low or something to where people spurn this job?

As an aspiring baseball writer, I'm intrigued.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Worked there many moons ago, and to say the pay was low would be a gross understatement. But I was fresh out of college and it was a fun gig for a while. Hope the pay scale has increased, and it is definitely a great place for someone who enjoys the outdoors. Charlotte Harbor and nearby Boca Grande have some of the best fishing in the world. Wasn't a great place for me as a young guy, but it has changed a lot, and it always seemed like it would be a great place to raise a family.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Covering the Gulf Coast League? Better hope that doesn't involve actual game coverage.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My guess is there are features to be written out of the GCL, but the bulk of the game coverage would be Florida State League. Nice little park they have down there, and with the tie-in to the somehwat-nearby Rays it's a good setup.

7. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

They should call Glenn Miller, who used to work at the Fort Myers News-Press. Knows more about baseball in the region than just about anyone.

8. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

Held this job for quite some time not too long ago. If anyone would like a more in-depth description of the job description and/or the area, feel free to PM me.

9. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

The pay isn't great, but then again, it's southwest Florida so the cost of living is about as low as you can find. There are some opportunities for overtime too, so whatever number that's given may be on the low end to what you actually get. As long as you don't have kids or a boatload of student loans then it's certainly enough for a recent college grad.

And yes, it's the FSL. At a great facility too. There are some cool opportunities for features for the GCL, but the bulk of work would be FSL.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It is definitely a much lower cost of living than most of the state. I remember renting a nice 2 bedroom/2 bath house with a garage and screened porch in a nice neighborhood for about 450 bucks a month. Was 15 years or so ago, but that was still dirt cheap.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

very cheap to live compared to Sarasota County just up the road.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not a bad area. There are some nice restaurants and bars in nearby Punta Gorda too.

Draft saved Draft deleted