1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball announcers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good answers, all.

Reasons vary: Bathroom break, mental health break from overbearing partner, chance to sweet talk the impressionable new PR intern...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you couldn't stand six innings next to Rick Rizzs, why would you want to work nine next to him?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gotta save the pipes for the local institution.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least Sterling is being somewhat more candid this season about his increasingly-frequent flubs.

He gets points for that.

But it's all so, so over.

"It is high . . . it is WRONG . . . it is . . . GONE!"

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Most announcers get halftime (note the analyst or a "host" usually handles halftime or in hockey, between-periods shows). In baseball, an inning off gives a pxp guy a 15-minute break in the middle of the game to rest his pipes, relieve himself, stretch his legs or simply go get a beer.

Usually, you see the pxp guy take off the 3rd & 6th or 7th (as in Marty Brennaman), or the 5th (Pat Hughes).

I remember Hughes taking a half-inning off before the Cubs used an understudy, and Santo doing pxp. It was quite possibly the most brutal 10 minutes of radio I've ever listened to.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You haven't listened to any Yankees games, lately, have you?

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I think Rick took the break to get away from Bob Rathbun, who put the "awe" in awful.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To recycle a previous sig of mine . . .

"And you thought it couldn't get worse'

But so long as George I is using oxygen, we won't be rid of either perpetrator, anytime soon.

9. NBAonNBC

NBAonNBC Member

So I was on the East Coast for a few days this week, and I heard two of the lamest calls I've heard in quite a while.

After a Cano home run..."It's Robinson Cano, don't you know?!?"

And later following a Teixeira HR..."A Tex(t) message from Mark Teixeira. You're on the Mark, Teixeira!"

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Consider all the years you've been spared this swill, and be grateful.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been 10 years since I lived in SoCal, but I believe Vin Scully does all nine innings. And always by himself. Rightly.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They were two of a kind, indeed

Draft saved Draft deleted