1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball 2008, Part The Third

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Charlie Dressen, "The Tigers ... is dead."

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey, TSP is a Tribe fan trying to cover up his own team's inadequacies.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Here we go again with that stuff.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only time I have ever heard the phrase "quality start" seems to be a spin point with the Texas Rangers to cover up their sucky bullpen.

Rangers starters have so-called "quality starts" in 5 of 6 games so far.

That is, 3 earned runs or less in 6 innings. (That, of course, translates to a 4.50 ERA.)

But we're talking about the Rangers. The same club that recently set a major-league record for longest streak without a complete game ... and the game that ended it was a CG loss by Millwood the other day.

Does any other club use this stat or is this just a figment of Tom Hicks' imagination like plus-minus in basketball is a figment of Mark Cuban's?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When Don Sutton was doing Braves broadcasts, every time one of the other guys brought up a "quality start," Sutton would say something akin to "in a quality start, you have a 4.50 ERA, which sucks." I miss Don.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's definitely used around the league, F_B. But Sutton was right: a quality start isn't exactly stellar. You ain't gonna win too many ballgames if that's all you're getting out of your rotation.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm in a fantasy league that uses quality starts as our sixth pitching category, but in real life, it's a pretty worthless statistical category. If anything, they should make it a little tougher to attain, like two or fewer earned runs rather than three.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

While it's silly to talk about the demise of the Mets (or Red Sox or Tigers, for that matter) this early, it is possible to look at some positive happenings over the first week ...
    *The Braves are definitely in the NL East picture, and if Hampton ever gets healthy, they should be favored.
    *The Rays are looking like a legitimate team, capable of a .500 record.
    *The Royals are improved enough to make better teams worry a bit when they meet them.

I've been out of action for about two weeks, but now I'm back and ready to discuss the baseball season.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For one week anyway, the NL Central looks better than expected too.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll be rich.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good to see Casty back.

12. rube

rube Active Member

Nope ... it's not Cleveland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.