1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry might not share

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 28, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Hopefully MLB decides to step in and say the baseball is property of MLB and will take ownership of it.

2. They didn't with the Red Sox World Series ball did they?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Except that would be absurd considering the 500 million foul balls and homers hit in the past would be considered exceptions to that rule.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I agree with Sportsbruh on this one as well. Who gives a bloody rip what Barry does with his stuff? That's his call. If he remains in character he will keep it or sell it to the highest bidder. And that would be appropriate.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I agree. Regardless of what I think about Barely Bawnz, it's his prerogative what he wants to do with his stuff.

Of course, I hope whoever catches 756 will not even consider returning it to Barely. Either keep it for yourself or sell it to the highest bidder, then pocket the proceeds.

6. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

It has been his turn ever since he was prepubescent. He has been a tool of epic proportions his entire life. He manipulates, he pisses on people's heads, he makes people grovel for the right to be told to go shit in their hat. Then he'll pull a writer aside and ask why people dislike him. In this case, he treats the Baseball Hall of Fame as he would treat an intern with his team's PR department: "I take care of me." He is not misunderstood. He is understood exactly perfectly.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No story here. The HOF is a private museum that has become fabulously wealthy from the generosity of players and clubs over the decades. What Barry does with his memorabilia is entirely up to him.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

just saw the thread -- my thoughts exactly... and nice job by Engisn Pulver too..

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Barry can do what he wants with his stuff. Keep the ball, donate it, who gives a swut?

Let's remember, though, that right or wrong, fans are going to hate Bonds if he refuses to give the ball to the Hall.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly the point. He has the right to do anything he wants. And people have the right to think he's a jerk.

It isn't helped in most people's eyes by the fact that he used PEDs to achieve the record and he lies about it.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

True. He can tell everyone to go to hell or just ignore them. And everyone can do the same to him. There's no reason anyone has to care or respect him, he's an entertainer and he entertains by being a sullen bitch, the bad guy charcter. He plays it well and voluntarily. It the extent his name goes in a record book, that's all the respect he gets and deserves.

Even if he never took a single protein suplement and his entire career, including his longevity and ability to recover from injury and pain is completely natural, no one is required to praise him or even think of him.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I think I read somewhere as well that Barry opted out of the MLB licensing agreement a while ago.
    As far as being a businessman, he's not dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted