1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry might not share

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

NEW YORK -- As Barry Bonds nears his record 756th home run, he's stockpiling quite a collection of souvenirs -- bats, balls, helmets and spikes, pieces of baseball history perfectly suited for the Hall of Fame.

I'm not worried about the Hall. I take care of me.
    Barry Bonds
    Whether he'll donate any of them to Cooperstown, however, is in doubt.

"I'm not worried about the Hall," the San Francisco slugger said. "I take care of me."

No wonder those at the museum are getting concerned, especially with Bonds only 9 homers shy of breaking Hank Aaron's career mark.

"There's uncertainty," Hall vice president Jeff Idelson acknowledged.

Around 35,000 artifacts are shown and stored at the shrine, and about a dozen pertain to Bonds.

There is a bat from his rookie year and cleats from him becoming the first player in the 400-homer/400-steal club. Unsolicited, he sent the bat and ball from his 2,000th hit. A batting practice bat from the 2002 World Series was the last thing Bonds provided.

"Doesn't everybody have the right to decide to do it or not do it?" he said last week.

The most prized items, the ones that fans would really want to see, are missing.

Nothing directly from Bonds to highlight his 500th home run. Ditto for homers 714 and 715, when he tied and passed Babe Ruth. Same for anything tied to him topping Mark McGwire's single-season total of 70.

Hall president Dale Petroskey went to visit Bonds at spring training last year, and instead walked smack into his reality show. The Giants talked to Bonds this year, and hope he'll be in a giving mood as the big moment comes and goes.

2. boots

boots New Member

With the way he's been treated, who can really blame him for feeling the way that he does. Like it or not, it will be his turn to tell everyone where to go.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

It's his shit he earned it SO WHAT!!!!

After Barry breaks the record I hope he takes all his marbles and go home.

4. When does the reality show start?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Barry's gonna donate a couple vials of the cream and the clear.. and maybe a syringe or two.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, I guess my deep-down hope that he gets to 754 and says he quits, that Hank deserves the record, etc., is out the window.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you think this obnoxious egomaniac would ever do that?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... maybe he'll chuck in a couple of gallons of that piss and vinegar he seems to always have handy. Goodness knows he has enough to spare.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

unless the game is on the line, I want to see every pitcher in the league hit Barry with their best fastball.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Of course not. One could only hope. Like seeing the sun rise in the west.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Riddick, at least I can agree with you on that point.

Just keep firing away at his right hip or thigh

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup, because that absolutely upholds the integrity of the game he has sullied. ::)

Actually, I am deeply concerned, because on this one issue I happen to agree with Sportsbruh. That makes me wonder if I have lost my mind. But I believe Bonds has a right to give or not give whatever he wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted