1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds still can't throw out Sid Bream at home plate alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 24, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't remember any issues with the umpires. I just remember the Pirates shitting themselves.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I remember Frankie, of course, but the play that still stands out for me is David Justice's throw.

Oh, and Cabrera had just three hits in the regular season.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hey, refresh my memory: Who did the Braves beat the only time they won the World Series? :D

4. When Lind made the error, I knew the fates were against us.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck Francisco Cabrera.

5. outofplace

For me, it was the moment I saw that Leyland had left Drabek in. You could see that he had nothing left in the 8th and Belinda was always MUCH better when he could actually start the inning, but Leyland stuck with his ace.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This was the game, the absolute MOMENT as a Pirates fan, that I both swore I would never even remotely appreciate Barry Fucking Bonds for a damn thing/became a lifelong Braves hater.

rb

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Crap, I missed the show. What happened? 8)

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, Bonds has taken a lot of heat for that throw, but it was a pretty damn good one considering where he was playing (closer to the line, expecting Cabrera to pull it) and where the ball was hit.

If the ball is hit straight to him, Bream gets held up at third (since the score is tied) and there's no play. If the ball is hit any harder, it's rolling to the wall and there's no play. If the ball is hit any softer, Bonds has to go farther for it and there's still no play.

That Bonds got over there so quickly and made it close with his throw is a testament to how well he played the ball -- and to Bream's foot speed, of course, because any other runner (hell, even Pendleton) would have slid in before the ball got there.

Many left fielders wouldn't have a chance to throw the runner out on that particular hit. Bonds did.

Not that I expect Pirates fans to ever change their minds on this one. :)

9. outofplace

Actually, I agree with your assessment of the throw, but many who were Pirate fans at the time, I didn't turn on Bonds when he left. I turned on the Pirates.

Of the guys who deserve blame for that loss, he was well down the list. At the very least, Lind, Leyland and Belinda are ahead of him.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Bonds also hit, what, .065 in that series? Fuck him.

rb

11. I think he should have stuck with Drabek. The bullpen just sucked. Stan Fucking Belinda. God Damn.

12. No, he hit a bit higher. .. That was the series where he broke the Mr. September label.. He had a big hit in Game 4 and kept it going.
    Fuck Bonds, but not for the throw he made, as Buck said the throw was pretty damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted