1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds responds to Bob Costas and Patrick 'The Chemist' Arnold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jul 26, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7063342

"You mean that little midget man who absolutely knows jack ... about baseball, who never played the game before?" Bonds said prior to Wednesday night's game against the Braves. "You can tell Bob Costas what I called him."

and

"I've never seen the man in my entire life," Bonds said of Arnold. "I've never heard of the man ... never."

It appears we have more hearsay, to go along with the mountain of current hearsay involved in the Bonds case. It also seems the potential prosecution would have yet more to prove if it were to try to incorporate Arnold's statements into its case, as the potential defendant publicly declares he's never even seen the man who is making the apparent hearsay claims against him.

3 years, I believe (I incorrectly referred to the length of the investigation specifically into Bonds as 5 years the other day). No indictments. Taxpayers' $$ being spent by the day. Contrast this saga with how quickly Mike Vick was indicted.

One way or another, let's hope this upcoming grand jury term is the last in this what-can-only-be-termed-a-'fiasco'-so-far investigation, started by an allegedly bitter IRS agent, Jeff Novitzsky. Indictment or not, my tax dollars can be far better spent than this.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The "You've never played the game" argument is for the lame and lacking-in-intelligence. I wasn't in the Civil War, but I think I have a good goddamn idea what happened.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Nice of Bonds to pull one out of the kindergarten playbook.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And just because Bonds says he doesn't know the guy, we should believe him?

Sorry. I'm as often a Bonds defender as not, but his credibility in this case is severely lacking.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I believe Bonds doesn't know the guy, personally ... except for what Victor told him about him, maybe.

Bonds is intimately familiar with what the guy created, though.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh yeah? What.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is there a quote by Bonds wherein he denies the substance of what was said?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The South lost.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did they cover? I had the North giving seven...

10. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hmm,

This is a tough one. I am split down the middle here.

On the one hand, Bonds has some great points. Sometimes Costas does great/stellar work & sometimes he is in way over his head and acts like he knows everything when he knows little about the real inside stuff. Yet, that can be said of many top guys in many fields.

I do think Costas is at a major disadvantage (like Lupica) for having such a limited sports background. There is no way around that & I could make many strong analogies that most would agree with. However, Costas' last show was for the most part really good work, particularly compared to most coverage of the issue. So, props to that. Scoreboard is scoreboard.

On Arnold. I don't know PA personally at all, but I know of PA well. He & Conte make a good pair. I can see how they would be connected as from what I can see they have very similar styles.

That being said, PA is smart/good at what he does. He has created many compounds. Certainly, if he were working with Conte he would be the brains behind the development of those compounds.

Could I see him develop something like THG ("the clear"). Without question.

I don't trust PA, but he knows his stuff - and there is the rub.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not an effin chance.

12. boots

boots New Member

I applaude Barry. Bob Costas IS NOT baseball's resident authority. I don't know why people have put him in that position.
    I saw his show and the primary theme to me seemed to be let's smear Barry Bonds and what he's doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted