1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds headlines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, it's a fucking conspiracy. there's a secret handshake and all that shit, too.

dumbass.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

Pedro Gomez Freed

3. NotCalvinsKid

NotCalvinsKid Member

I posted this on the other thread last night but ...
    I had "Bonds voyage"
    editor didnt get it. went with Bonds slugs record-breaking home run
    I wanted to drive off the road going home

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

In hindsight, how about Uncommon Bonds

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Deskers everywhere rejoice, will design only one front page a night again.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Winner in my book!

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The NY Post's headline made me laugh...
    http://www.newseum.org/media/dfp/pdf8/NY_NYP.pdf

If you don't want to click on the link, it is 756, but they used syringes to make the numbers.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that will so be my desktop come thursday.

9. yuckraker

yuckraker New Member

Moddy, you can delete this if you think I'm being too crass by posting my own stuff, but here's what I posted today.

Night after crafting perfect Bonds subhed, copy editor taking day off

If Barry Bonds hits No. 757 tonight, Jim Williams will be able to enjoy it stress free.

Williams, a 22-year sports copy editor for the Washington County Globe, is taking Wednesday off after kicking out what he called “the subhed of a lifetime” last night denoting Bonds’ record-breaking 756th home run.

“I went with 756 with an asterisk for the headline,” Williams said, “but that’s like shooting fish in a barrel. As I like to say, headlines for show, subheds for dough.”

His pride in what came next was evident in a phone interview conducted early Wednesday.

“For the sub, I went with — and this was seconds before our deadline, mind you — ‘No hippies, but suspicous minds and immortality join Bonds on record trip around bases.’ ”

It has everything: imagery, unwasted words, and what I like to call ‘the bedroom wall’ factor. From now until they go to college, every kid in town will have the sports page of the Aug. 8, 2007, Washington County Globe on his wall.

“For me, this was like 9-11, Election Night and Pearl Harbor all wrapped in to one, so, yeah, I’m kicking back tonight.”

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is this fictitious, like The Onion? If not, that's the dumbest fucking subhed I've ever seen.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

You beat me to it.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I now have that damn song stuck in my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted