1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds hacked off at Hank Aaron.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Apr 11, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ok... we can stop that nonsense now, before it gets deeper....thank you...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry, slap.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know it's a message board and all, but yesterday was ugly on all sides, all fronts -- myself included...

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I missed all that. Haven't been around much since Thursday.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yesterday was a good-un on several threads....

6. boots

boots New Member

It wasn't a good day on the threads because of the stuff that is trying to start right now. The threadjacking and the name calling and the basic smart ass comments by jackasses (I'm not calling names).
    It's really childish.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

good-un was facitious, Bootsie...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well said, cran. That is my point as well, though I should have been questioning the story more directly as you did.

This isn't a conspiracy theory thing, Simon. It is shoddy journalism in that column. He is attributing third-hand comments to Bonds without any effort at confirming them. And the only comments Bonds has made on the subject that I have heard were very respectful of Aaron's decision.

Do I believe Bonds is upset that Aaron hasn't contacted him? Sure. And I think he does care that Aaron won't show up to see him break the record. But he is not publicly complaining about it.

So many people, particularly on this board, are so ready to jump on the guy for anything that they don't seem to care whether it is reliable or not.

The idea of Bonds confiding in Selig seems odd to me as well. I don't see why Selig would lie to Aaron, a man who he respects a great deal and with whom he has a treasured friendship. But I don't see why Selig does a lot of things. More importantly, the information that entire column was based on is VERY shaky and as journalists we should know better, no matter who the source is.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

On top of the validity concerns, I can't get past this part.

"The all-time home run king (at least for the moment) responded from his residence in southwest Atlanta by slamming Bonds’ comments back toward the ozone in which they came."

Did Bonds' comments come in ozone?

10. boots

boots New Member

First off, Terrence got to Aaaron After ESPN contacted him. It made the AJC look foolish that they didn't have coment from him. Secondly, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Barry stop just shy of the number. That would screw a lot of people up the way that Barry Sanders did the rushing mark.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Bonds is a piece of shit, and nothing he did would shock me, but for one of the biggest papers in the country to write something this flimsy — column or no — and not even seemingly make an effort to contact Bonds is total bullshit.

Having a columnist’s license doesn’t give you a license to write flimsy bullshit. A lot of people just don’t understand that.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can see that myself. And I'm not so sure I wouldn't feel a pang of delight at watching Bonds stop one home run short and flip everyone the bird as he walks off the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted