1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry - 1 more year? What's your take? (+ some commentary)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jul 11, 2007.

?

Will Barry Bonds play 1 more year following the 2007 season?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. I hate Barroid

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Rok, I realize Ragu's "commentary" line came without provocation (aside from your history), but you had this thesaurus-aided response loaded in your cannon, no?

RokSki = JDV, but more pretentious (if that is possible)

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I had no idea Ragu was going to post and I didn't use a thesaurus (the quote you cited is much closer to how I usually write than what I mostly write on SJ, as I've said other times and as can be seen in the link in my 'rokski2' signature line, among other examples on this board. That quoted text is as much 'my voice' as is any). Thesauri, however, do exist for the purpose of people expanding their vocabulary, don't they? It's a great way to increase one's personal lexicon and thus enrich one's writing 'database.' I use them all the time, just not in this particular instance.

If it makes you feel better, on the first post, I believe, I did look up 'fora' to make sure it was the appropriate plural of 'forum.' Latin and all, blah, blah.

Again, I don't feel a great need to defend myself, which is why I let a lot of things slide, like being called 'psycho' or having my picture compared to that of a rapist mug shot, or whatever. If people choose to walk into the line of fire, that is their decision. I don't write for them. The proportion of guests to members here is almost always at least 2:1 (+), so there are plenty of people who read what I and others write who don't comment on what is written. I'm a fairly secure individual, and I really don't want to spend too much time taking on 'arguments' which are ridiculous on their face. To put it another way, I trust the audience to know which arguments have merit and which don't. Those who do not, or who do not trust their arguments, often use repetition as a 'armament,' if you will. I don't. There's a reason for that -- I don't have to. Others, however, feel that they do need to do so. Make of that what you will.

John and I have different styles, with some overlap. When I took the chance to read through the beginning of Ragu's fatuous, supposed-pantomime post, I actually was excited for a second -- I saw 'structuralist' and 'phenomenology' and started thinking of deconstructionism and philosophy. Alas, the post was a series of mostly disjointed terms strung together, and my initial giddiness returned to the more-appropriate, and more-expected, disappointment I subsequently felt.

Bob Ryan is often looked at, I guess, as some savant because he uses a sui generis (one of a kind), here or there. For some, that is an end. For others, it is a beginning.

Is that pretentious? I suppose it would be, if it weren't true. This is I -- this is who I am and how I am; I grew up reading encyclopedias and other reference books and to this day can stand very few novels and almost no television because the writing doesn't interest me. That doesn't make me better than anyone or worse than anyone, it's just who I am.

I'm a writer and editor; this is what I do. I'm sorry if my using the board to exercise and advance my skills while participating in the topics at hand meets with your dissatisfaction. I'm a lot more comfortable, generally, in Sports and News than Random Thoughts. I did the whole "Wolfowitz Watch" thread. That's where my interests lie, beyond sports. I enjoy academic-style writing and reading more than almost all other forms.

But you can't always write like that and meet the needs of your audience. So I don't. Sometimes I want to experiment and incorporate more of that style here, so I do.

As I mentioned, I am not in need of any coddling nor am I looking to be 'liked' or 'approved of.' I welcome criticism and I adopt neither the will of the herd nor that of the contrarian. I just write what I think, find that I'm often wrong, and I seek to continually improve my thinking and writing skills and interact with others who are similarly interested in discussing things we both find interesting, which, at SJ, often means sports.

But sports is just a subset of my interests, as is the case for everybody here. Posting feline jpegs, making posts based on allusions to tracks from a particular album and/or artist, and intricate deliberations on bodily functions don't do much for me. Most here have seen my MySpace, and I make it fairly clear there that I'm a pretty serious guy. That's just my temperament, at least at this point in my life.

That has it's pluses and minuses. I accept those. While I might be good at nitpicking minute philosophical differences in argument formation, I might also be poor at small talk. You never know.

Hope that helps.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let me just run that through my translator...

"I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a big deal."

4. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

Sensational.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought this turd was flushed days ago. Someone get the Lysol quick, please.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just think if you put this type of effort into a job search? you actually could be stocking shelves at wal-mart right now at 2:09 in the morning.

good work. you continue to impress.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The biggest thing I want answered is this: Remember when rokski2 started because rokski allegedly couldn't remember his password, but now 'rok' posts under both handles, why?
    Is one 'rok' not enough, do we really have to be subjected to both?

Also, can the Villareal brothers please realize SportsJournalists.com nation is not looking at your MySpace pages, so can you please quit from referencing them like they are fact?

9. sportschick

I love Rok goes on and on about the cat pictures and how he doesn't like them on the boards, yet has told me multiple times that he likes them in PMs and such. Serious guy . . .right.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Keep that shit to the PMs sportschick.
    He is a serious guy, we all know this because we all read his MySpace page.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. sportschick

Do we now?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We know this goddammit. I don't know why you follow me from thread to thread sportschick. You suck serious donkey dick, though I am sick of all of the name calling on this site and wish it would stop.
    Please PM me if you have problems with me.
    Have a happy David Beckham naked day Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted