1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry - 1 more year? What's your take? (+ some commentary)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jul 11, 2007.

?

Will Barry Bonds play 1 more year following the 2007 season?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. I hate Barroid

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragu, that was some funny shit, right there.

Oh, God, people do write like that. They do.

2. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

What would the sports world do without Barry?
    He is the easiest shot to take, in fact he's verging on a constant punchline at this point.

Who would we be able to quickly and definitively wag our fingers at if not for Mr Bonds?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Terrell Owens?

4. Is that another rapist mugshot in your avatar, Rok?

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ron Mexico?

6. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

Eldorado is close, but he lacks the instant moral superiority that the 'alleged' HGH/Cream/Clear/Steroid issues give most observers of the Bonds fiasco.

Most negative accounts of Terrell portray him as an egotistical jerk ....... but not a cheater.

7. What about Lance Armstrong?

If he doped - and it's looking more and more like he has - he is far worse than Bonds in my book, and I hate Bonds.

Bonds doped in a sport that only started caring about steroids now. Armstrong allegedly doped in a sport that's been trying to crack down on it for years.

Bonds has no interest in becoming a national hero. Armstrong is a poster boy for cancer and has wrapped himself in the flag every time the French accuse him of wrong doing.

I'm not totally convinced Armstrong is guilty, but if he is he is a much bigger fraud than Bonds ever was.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I wonder if no one else posted in this thread, if rok would continue to have a conversation with himself.

9. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

Um.
    There is a very good reason that these two alleged cheaters have very different public profiles.

A small part of it is that Barry is - by most accounts - a jerk to the media, an absolute spoiled brat, the poster boy for athletic arrogance.
    Lance Armstrong wraps himself in the flag - as you said - at the drop of an accusation.

There is a huge amount of hypocritical analysis in the sporting arena. Looking truthfully at the doping issue will only get you ostracized ala Dick Pound.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I put my take on that in your thread

:)

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's a nice piece on Bonds by the AP. The last paragraph or two are particularly germane to this thread, as Bonds mentions he is thinking beyond Aaron's record and that he doesn't want to stop playing until he absolutely can't play any more:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19716904/

12. creamora

creamora Member

Bonds will likely play next year. Stadium attendance and TV ratings are up this season and Bonds is a big part of that. Once the perjury investigation is over and there is no indictment, his stock will go up considerably. Bonds is the biggest name in baseball at the moment and he will retain that position until he decides to retire. Scandal and controversy sells. It's all about money. The All-Star game was a clear demonstation that Bonds is THE MAN with the world's attention. It's simply about the risk to return ratio and once the risk of indictment is no longer there, then the demand for his services will skyrocket.

Draft saved Draft deleted