1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry - 1 more year? What's your take? (+ some commentary)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jul 11, 2007.

?

Will Barry Bonds play 1 more year following the 2007 season?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. I hate Barroid

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I believe the operative phrase would be: 'for posterity?'

Shalom :)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The move from a structuralist account in which Barry Bonds is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which home runs are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of the San Francisco Giants, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of the art of the home run.

If, for a while, the ruse of performance-enhancing drugs is calculable for the uses of discipline soon the repetition of guilt, justification, pseudo-scientific theories, superstition, spurious authorities, and classifications can be seen as the desperate effort to “normalize” formally the disturbance of a discourse of splitting that violates the rational, enlightened claims of its enunciatory modality.

As my story is an august tale of Barry Bonds and insane message board posters, real and imagined, the biography here will fitfully attend to the putative traces in Jimmy Cannon’s work of “les noms du père,” a Lacanian romance of the errant paternal phallus (”Les Non-dupes errent”), a revised Freudian novella of the inferential dynamic of paternity which annihilates (and hence enculturates) through the deferred introduction of the third term of insemination the phenomenologically irreducible dyad of Barry Bonds' mother and her child.

Privately-financed baseball stadiums, such as the AT&T Park, constitute one decisive means for power to de-privatize and re-publicize, if only ever so slightly, the realms of death by putting dead remains into public service as social tokens of collective life, rereading dead fossils as chronicles of life’s everlasting quest for home runs, and canonizing now retired individuals as nomological emblems of still living collectives in baseball's storied record book. An anatomo-politics of human and non-human bodies is sustained by accumulating and classifying such necroliths in the sport’s observational/expositional performances.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sorry, Doc. I forgot the ellipses for your quote fragment, but I have corrected that error.

Sorry, FHB for my mistake.

:)

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

OK, I have to ask: Why are you posting as RokSki AND rokski2 (in 10,000 words or less)?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Big difference. I had reason for having two handles, and dropped the other one when it was outed. Do a search; that handle has been nuked. You started a new handle, claiming you forgot your password (which is about the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard, btw) and since you've had your ass so thoroughly and frequently kicked on both handles, there are few posters here who don't think you're kind of psycho.

I eagerly await your next meltdown.

As-Salaam-Alaikum.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

AHHHHHH! SJ keeps sucking me back in...

Honestly, because when I'm logging in, I screwed up the last few times in choosing the same 'default' for my log-in, thus the flip-flop of accounts.

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Can't help that the writer has gotten it entirely wrong, or that he's an arrogant fool, but we can tighten that baby up a bit.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I don't buy the argument "he can't go anywhere because they all hate him" for a second.

Put Barry on a good team where he can help them win, and the fans may not like him, but I'll bet they tolerate him.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Agreed. And not only will they tolerate him, they'll embrace him if he helps their team. Just like Giambi and the NYY fans.

- - - - -

For all Barry haters, John Feinstein is filling in for Jim Rome and his entire monologue was devoted to Bonds and how Selig should not be present when Bonds passes Aaron, etc. JF is going to have on Ken Rosenthal to discuss the topic more sometime during the show.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I, for one, think it's cute that rok wants to have a "big boy conversation" finally.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My thinking was pretentious bullshit, but to each his own. :)

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Note to Jim Rome:

Don't let Feinstein fill-in for you too much. The more I listen to Feinstein on the radio, the better - and more well-positioned - he seems as a writer. JF went off on a political rant (his words), and though I agree with him politically, he was not very compelling. When he began to discuss the teenage mystery novels (I immediately started thinking of Lupica's travel-team publications) he's penned, only the thought of hearing Rosenthal kept the dial from being changed.

Thankfully, Rosenthal is doing a very good job at balancing Feinstein's anti-Barry position. Was it worth two hours of Coack K fellating, recalled Bud Collins stories, etc.? Hell no.

But it helped. However, if JF quotes Mercutio's "A pox on both their houses" one more time, his fill-in spot should be permanently revoked, IMO.

The political rant was the low point. Good things to say, non-compelling means of delivery and just flat-out whinerish. Sounded a lot like a guy out of his wheelhouse.

Overall, for someone starting his show with an extended intro on Bonds, the paucity of actual discussion on Bonds (some of which was not his fault, some was attributed to technical issues of his receiving email from Premiere's west-coast studios) after the first segment was a letdown. But you can't get too hard on a guy doing radio who's not a radio guy (unless, like Simmons, he comes in proclaiming how 'easy' radio is before proceeding to fall squarely on his jaw on the radio).

Draft saved Draft deleted