1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barnicle story on Grantland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boston Magazine used to run a regular feature on crap Barnicle made up in his columns. For years. The Globe didn't care. It wasn't until they fired a couple of other writers for plagarism that Barnicle's practices got him in trouble. They couldn't fire the other ones and then not fire him when he got caught, which of course happened.
    Then, just near the end of my Herald stint, it hired Barnicle, in the publisher's daft belief that the city remains predominately Irish Catholic and male.
    To his considerable credit, when the 2005 buyouts and layoffs began, Barnicle immediately quit, stating he could afford to, and didn't to cause someone else to lose their job.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife, who is not in the business and is often perplexed by our ways, was watching a spring training game with me. Barnicle was in the booth with the Red Sox announcers. I gave her a little of the background and she was like, "Why would they want him on the air?"

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Somewhere, in Heaven's version of Billy Goat's, Royko laughs uproariously at this carbon-copy pipsqueak.

We'll never forget.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michael Vick killed dogs and was welcomed back. Does Barnicle ever get that chance?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Vick's transgressions, however egregious, had nothing to do with his job. Pete Rose is a more apt comparison.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I'm sure he'll have plenty of chances to kill dogs, but that's not the point...

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

that was in 1998.
    14 years.
    he ripped off a few jokes from george carlin.
    convicted murderers walk in less than 14 years.
    plagiarism is not a capital crime.
    give the guy a break.
    jeez.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Am I the only person here not familiar with his past transgressions.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fabrication? Death penalty.

10. Boom_70

Don't tell Joe Biden that.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

+1

"Forgetting" to attribute a couple of jokes is bad. Making up stories? Done. Career should be over.

12. Boom_70

But you can still be The Vice President.

Draft saved Draft deleted