1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barnes & Noble is criminal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Pringle,
    you need Uriel Alberto, El Protestor. He is a professional protestor working out of my office. He's done Office Depot and Best Buy so far with good results. I am sure he would like to add B&N to his resume.

Send him a bus ticket, lunch him, and he will show up with his sandwhich sign around the noon rush. He'll put something on the sign, like "Watch B$N's Sneaky Fine Print" or something that plays off their advertising. You gotta be careful not to libel or slander the company and leave the premises if they demand so.

Uriel's big splash came when he went inside an Office Depot, bought the sign paper and sharpies, drew up a Doesn't Take Care of Business Protest sign right in front of the manager. They could not figure out what he was doing. After ten minutes of parading out front with the sign and his Mexifro, the manager offered him a $100 corporate gift card. Uriel was all smiles.

He keeps the tips and corporate gift cards, but you got to pay his way to your town and lunch him.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The real answer is to stop shopping at overpriced bookstores like Barnes and Noble and Borders. I buy all my books from www.half.com. By far the cheapest books and with the best selection hands down.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I also buy all my DVDs from Half.com. Love that place.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It's not the $25 ... it's the principle of "The Man" keeping the little man down! That was the point! Exaggerated, for effect? Sure. Obviously it bombed. But doesn't changed the fact that it's sneaky of them to put automatic renewals in the fine print. Or that it can be frustrating dealing with faceless corporations.

But seriously, Hondo, spare me the "You need to listen to this" line. I have almost no credit debt. The only credit debt I have is from my most recent work-related travel that I haven't received reimbursement for. The whole point was that I didn't notice the bill because I wouldn't EXPECT a bill. So spare me the "another 20something slacker" routine, because it doesn't apply.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Pringle, I'm pretty sure the only two people who mentioned renewing the card on here were Moddy and I. Neither of which have the automatic renewal.

So maybe you should look in the mirror, because obviously you checked something we didn't check.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

FINE!!!

IT's MY FAULT!!!

FINE.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's part of the reason: along with running up bar tabs five nights a week, $5 lattes twice a day and financing spring break in Havasu or Europe.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Work for a better paper. Mos of the good ones will pay moving expenses.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hondo, it will be true poetic justice the day you are replaced by a college grad that will work for 23K a year because he or she has student loan payments to make.

I hope it happens tomorrow.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's probably true and you're probably right about Hondo.

But 20-somethings overspending/spending beyond their means is more common than you think. You see stories of stuff like that every so often.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I do now, dipshit. Doesn't change the fact that very little of my debt comes from frivolous things like iPods and computers. I'm sick and tired of you acting like everybody my age is a slacker. Fucking ageist asshat.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Would all of you STFU? I'm trying to listen to my iPod I bought on my maxed out AMEX.

Draft saved Draft deleted