1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barnes & Noble is criminal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Nov 20, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Zeke, hondo is right. He is completely in control of his own destiny. Who else would be?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jesus, the sanctimony is fucking thick.

Sure, he shouldn't have signed up.

Doesn't mean they're not sneaky for doing it.

But all the perfect people in the world can feel free to beat up on him for taking up valuable bandwidth to vent. God knows, we need that space for the next time hondo decides muslims are stalking him.

Quit being such dicks.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love my Barnes and Noble card - best 25 bucks I spend every year. Better than the 40 at Sam's. I got 17 bucks in discounts just yesterday at B&N.

Maybe it has changed but when I signed up for the card I had to check a box for it to auto-renew. I did not. I just pay the 25 bucks in cash each year.

Don't understand all the hatred for Barnes and Noble. Love them, love Borders. Love smaller bookshops, independent bookshops, used bookshops, you name it.
    I seem to pay a lot less at B&N.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The sanctimony would be a lot less thick if someone hadn't acted like his world was coming to an end because he chose (and by chose, I mean he chose not to cancel/close the account he no longer wanted) to be a month behind in paying off a $25 credit card bill.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Big difference between the words THE REASON and A REASON.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

One month late should not put a black mark on your credit. Until it goes to a creditor, the only mark would be on that particular account.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That is true. But there are also the 20-somethings that DO go out and have to have all the latest big ticket items (Ipod, satellite radio, HDTV, etc, etc, etc) even tho they are $30K in debt.

I think THAT was who Hondo was referring to. If you are in debt with student loans/credit cards/etc, be smart and don't go looking to go MORE in debt with items you don't necessarily need.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never sign up for things like the B&N card. But last December, I was buying gifts at B&N and the card paid for itself just with the purchase I was making, so I got it. The discount has been pretty sweet all year long. Definitely going to renew it this year. I buy enough books that the thing pays for itself. Still not sure what the problem is here. It's $25. You'd think someone swindled you out of your life savings the way you railed in your first posts. If it's that big a deal to you, call your credit card company and contest the charge. Say you didn't authorize it and ask them to reverse the charge.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He didn't give any other reasons, did he? How many ipods does it take to pile up 30K in debt?

College students are in overwhelming debt because college costs more than it used to, while entry-level jobs and jobs that students generally hold do not pay any better than they used to.

Those are facts, and they are not in question. Sure, college students make stupid choices with credit cards. It doesn't change the basic underlying situation. More students work, and work more often than in the past, and they still graduate with more debt.

It's a legitimate problem nationwide.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He also listed $2K Macbooks.

But like I said earlier, the point was all the 20-somethings who are in debt but just HAVE to have all the latest things, cost be damned.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hank, I know very few people that heavily in debt who are spending that way (and, unfortunately, I know a lot of people who are that heavily in debt.) Sure, there are exceptions -- but the vast majority are spending 90% of their paycheck paying bills (or trying to pay bills.) Not enough left to save, very little left to spend.

What Hondo is referring to is an overgeneralization of a generation that faces a different situation in post-college life than others did in the past. College costs have skyrocketed, more students are working through college, and entry-level salaries are stagnant.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's only 30 days late. That will do nothing to your credit score. Pay the $25 and close the account. The credit card company will whine and moan (much like you) trying to keep you from closing the account, but do it any way.

And stop worrying about your credit score. Don't worship at the FICO altar.

Draft saved Draft deleted