1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barkley arrested on DUI suspicion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm at the point where if he hits the tree or pulls a Leonard Little then it's newsworthy. Until then it's much ado about nothing. Hell they didn't even see fit to keep him in the drunk tank to sober up overnight. And it's not just him, it's every third rate back up point guard who the vast majority of the public wouldn't have heard of gets written up in a story. If you or I get pulled over on suspicion of DUI the only people who find out about it likely are those you tell. I'm just tired of it is all, I guess.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Do you work at a newspaper? Back when I did, any employee who got a DUI got a writeup with a head shot.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a Fuck about you or I, you can't say the same about pro athletes. It's public record, of course it's going to be reported.

4. Hell, I'd take that gig. Beats what I'm doing now in this biz.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If the story said "Charles Barkley stupidly risked killing himself or someone else last night," wouldn't it be worth reporting? That's what DUI is. It's a serious offense, even if it isn't that uncommon, and when someone who's at all well-known does it, it's particularly newsworthy.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You're wrong.

The careless misuse of someone sneaking a gun, hidden in the waistband of their pants, into a packed club is MUCH more dangerous than being drunk behind the wheel of a 3,000 pound vehicle.

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Blue font missing?

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

It looks like he just jumped in a pool.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That hasn't come up at my current stop yet. I do know at my last stop it was a firing -- the whole needing to being able to drive to do your job thing.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know he's a public figure so whatever he does is supposedly newsworthy, but to me there is also a big difference between suspicion of DUI and an actual DUI. Was he beligerent, was he swerving all over the road, was his speach even slurred. was he staggering all over the place. Was the only reason he was pulled over because of the blown red light? What was his blood alcohol level, when will the test be back/released? The story is extremely light on anything, except to say it was Barkley, that he was cooperative and suspicion of DUI. With the lack of availble information/evidence in the story to me it is a non-story.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Dang it to heck!

Another hero, fallen.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I came on this thread to post one thing, and slappy did it in the first post.

Sonuvabitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted