1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barkley arrested on DUI suspicion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 31, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I assume his first call was to Dwyane Wade.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thas turrible

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Hehe, "suspicion."

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He does not have a paid driver?

It still blows me away that these guys don't give someone $100,000K a year to take care of them when they party.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He bet Fitty large on the blood test.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Very nice.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Excuse me for repeating a story I've told earlier:

I was once covering a jock-filled poker tourney at the Mirage when Barkley took up space at a high-roller 21 table, just killing time between events. He had a huge stack of $1,000 chips with him, 2 in the afternoon.

Joeblow comes up to him and says something along the lines of "I'm an Auburn grad and a huge fan, what an honor to meet you..." Barkley turns to the guy, asks a coupla polite questions, then asks the guy to sit in with him...dude looks at the stakes ($100 a round) and says, "um, can't afford it!"

So Barkley then grabs a huge handful of his chips and gives them to the guy. No questions asked, no strings attached, and says, "now you do." Had to be at least $30K if it was a dollar.

Saw it with my own eyes; from that point on I've always been a fan.

But maybe next time he should take that handful and give to a cabbie, no?

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wow. am I the only one getting tired of these stories about said athlete or former athlete getting pulled over for a DUI or suspected DUI? It's not like the robbed a bank or hell even hit a tree. Sure they are encredibly stupid for doing so and I carry no respect for those that do drink and drive, but my god, it's not like it is rare. I wonder what the drunk driving rates will be for tonight? and who's to say he was plastered. He could have had three drinks, and the cop who pulled him over for running the red light -- happens all the time to sober people -- could have just smelled it on his breath. The fact the cop was part of a task for he was probably looking for it to begin with. Being in a trendy part of town he was likley just leaving an establishment. Sure he could pay someone $100,000 a year to drive him around, but if Joe Blow can afford a night on the town he should also be able to afford the $10-20 for a cab at the end of the night. rant over.

9. Watch good ol' Charles get another walk on this from his pals in our biz.
    If this were Allen Iverson, the outrage already would be at high tide.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Well, Beef, considering at any time one of these guys could in fact hit a tree, or perhaps pull a Leonard Little, I'd say it's newsworthy. Considering Barkley is talking about running for office, I'd say it's even more so.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

True dat.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

The funniest thing about this is how his opinion on current athletes and their troubles will be sought after by the end of the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted