1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barking dogs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a friend who used the citronella-spray collar, but it didn't work. The dog just got used to it, I guess.

Our dog barks from excitment at the front gate when the first person gets home at the end of the day, but only if she been home alone all day. If the GF's been home all day and I've been at work, the dog's excited to see me but so much that she barks.
    She settles down relatively quickly.

Other than that, she barks when somebody arrives and she's not sure who it is, or if something going on around the porperty and she's not sure about it.
    That's good barking. I encourage that kind of barking.

Plus, we live in the country. Barking is copacetic.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I've got four dogs (Mrs G. is a vet tech and brings home strays), the barking annoys me at times, but like Moddy says, when I lost my golden retreiver recently, coming home and not hearing him was painful.

Almost all of my neighbors have them too, so I'm guessing their barking doesn't bother anyone. It's a real pain in the ass at night when I let them out though, because if dogs start barking in one yard there is a chain reaction among the neighborhood.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We have a beagle who barks a little, but the homes in my subdivision have good windows, so we, and others, can't hear too much.

Plus, my neighbor has two dobermans, so I feel better because they bark as well.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You may want to try one of these:

http://www.bestbarkcollar.org/innotek_bark_collar.html

I am not averse to our two dogs barking occasionally. What you describe with yours would drive me insane.

Best of luck with it.

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I have 2 dogs, and one hardly barks at all. The other will bark if anyone comes to the door or if she sees someone walking down the street. I don't mind her warning us but we're trying to teach her when to stop. We usually tell her good girl or thank you when she barks at a stranger, and she seems to realize that she's made us aware and she's OK with that. We also try giving her treats when she stops barking after we tell her to "stop." It seems to be working pretty good.

My neighbor has a dog that barks a lot, and my neighbor is also under the impression that everyone works 9-5, like she does. So she puts her dog out several hours before I get up, and the dog barks pretty incessantly.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My dogs have been outside for an hour and they aren't barking - that worries me more. Time to step out and see what their sneaky asses are up to now.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My girl barks when someone pulls in the driveway and sometimes when she hears a delivery truck drive down the road.

She never barks at me, she will bark when the rest of the Rosie crew shows up.

She never barks at Rosebud's boyfriend either.

She will bark at animals wandering into the yard at times (and we finally got through a summer without an entanglement with a skunk.) As long as she does NOT bark at the bears and wolves, I'm fine.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Bono goes berzerk when someone knocks or rings the bell. He also barks if he sees an animal outside, if I come in late at night, if he has to go to the bathroom or if his water bowl is empty. Otherwise, he's pretty quiet. He doesn't bark much around other dogs.

I just wish I could get him to stay off the dining table. It's by the window. He climbs on the chair and takes naps on the table. If we're gone for awhile and come home, that's where we find him. He'll stand there and look out the window, too. If the kids or wife leave their school papers on the table, he'll destroy them. He literally ate my son's homework one day. Well, half of it.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's just it. There's one house in our development where they have dogs that bark at all hours of the night. It's to a point where I have trouble sleeping sometimes.

I've been pushing my folks for MONTHS to talk to the dog owners. They finally did. I've made it clear to them that if I have to "talk" to them, I won't be very polite about it.

I've even seen a dog in our backyard. We own a cat. I was tempted to go upstairs, find my father's gun and shoot the four-legged bastard.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have you checked your town noise ordnance laws? Does your town have a dog warden?

Our town has very strict laws in regard to night time barking that are aggressively enforced by Dog Warden. I've been on the other end with my two buddies.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My silent warriors were out there digging a hole this a.m. big enough to bury me in - I think their plan was to eventually bark enough to lure me out there and then BAM. Game on. I'd be a lot more fun to bury than their bones. Foiled the plan and now all three are sacked out quietly around me.

Life without dogs would suck hard. Though they eventually up and die (Bojangles is on my Walkman now) and that sucks awfully hard, too.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm like you, Moddy. If my dogs aren't around and are quiet, they are up to something.

Draft saved Draft deleted