1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barking dogs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have two dogs. Some of you would say that is two too many.

I love having them, except for one thing: They bark. A door slams somewhere in the neighborhood, and they bark. I drop a pencil on the floor, and they bark. The mailman puts the mail in the box, they bark. I come home at night, they bark as soon as the key hits the lock. Bark, bark, bark. Full-throated, uncontrollable barking, well after they've been asked to quiet down.

They didn't used to be this way. It's developed over time.

Anyone have any suggestions? It makes our home feel chaotic, and it can be really, really embarrassing when I'm trying to interview a source, for example, on the phone.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They're dogs. That's what they do. They bark. To me, it's music even if it does get a little annoying at times. If I'm on the phone with someone important and they're going apeshit over something, I toss 'em outside for a while.

A while back I mentioned on one of the "my dog died" threads that pop up - my old girl Zinger would hear my car pull into the driveway and start barking because she was so excited. After she died and there was no more barking when I pulled in, I had a very hard time for a while even getting out of the car. The silence was so sad.

Our crew now waits until the key is in the door before saying hello.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good perspective.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Our dog (miniature Schnauzer) barks like no tomorrow. I take the trash out and come back in and she barks like I'm an intruder who she has never seen before. She barks at kids riding their bikes past the house on the sidewalk. We take her to the front door, let her watch us ring the doorbell, and she still goes batshit.

We tried everything - shock collars, putting her outside when she barked for no reason, etc. We finally gave up. At least we know if someone ever tries to burglarize our house, we'll be aware of the situation.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You can buy a training collar that when they bark sprays a shot of harmless citronella at their nose.

I use them for my 2 dogs when they are outside for a long period.

You could also use spray bottle and every time they bark hit them with stream of water.

Like Moddy I don't mind the barking but I also want to be neighborly.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have the same collar for my dog. Works very well.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wish I could find a clip online, but last night I happened to watch the beginning of Fox's "Raising Hope." It featured Kate Micucci (you may remember her from Scrubs as Ted's girlfriend who played the ukulele — she is a fave of mine because she also has a series of songs she calls 'Playing with Micucci'). Anyway, on the show she's caretaker of several dogs. She was singing to them about not barking when the mailman sticks letters through the door or cars go by, etc. It was pretty cute.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I trained my dog to keep it to a minimum when he was a puppy by scolding him and bringing him inside whenever he began barking at people or other dogs walking by. He learned that if he barks, I'll bring him into the house. Now I just remind him, "No barking," when I let him out. He won't bark unless someone he doesn't know is physically at our fence.

I'm sure this won't work for all dogs, especially hounds which take barking to another level, but it worked well for my Irish terrier.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Dick Whitman is David Richards.

http://www.theonion.com/video/tiny-dog-has-been-barking-nonstop-for-6-years,14251/

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Dick,
    If nothing else, you can tell the dogs that if they don't stop their behavior, they will have their names printed in the paper (/crossthread).
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Our dog had a huge problem with being alone when we got her, howling and barking like crazy. This was a particular problem because we were in an apartment complex.

We tried sitting in the stairwell for a few minutes, then coming in, then going back out for twice as long, hoping that she'd eventually get used to us not being there. We'd pop in and scold her if she started barking.

Didn't work.

We finally had success with the aforementioned citronella spray collar. It also made the house smell lovely.

That said, as long as your neighbours don't mind, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Better than having them rip your couch to shreds or eat your drapes, as my wife's old dog once did.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're my neighbour, your dogs can bark as often and as long as they want---as long as I can't hear them.

Draft saved Draft deleted