1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bard College sucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Cal Tech beat Bard College to snap a 207-game losing streak
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/01/07/bc.bkc.caltechwins.ap/index.html

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OR Caltech, as it's referred to in the story.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, man. A local kid, who was really good and led his team to a state title 3 years ago, plays for Bard. Great kid. I've gotta get a hold of him to do a local angle. Thanks.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

207 losses in a row...wow, that's hard to believe.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It gets better, Trey.

The Beavers have lost 245 consecutive conference games. They have not won in conference in almost 22 years.

6. Songbird

They should be called the Caltech Seismographs.

Growing up in L.A, whenever there was an earthquake the TV stations would interview this woman named Lucy something-or-another from Caltech.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Perhaps correct, but stupid.

It's not Gatech or Texastech. Why is the California Insitute of Technology calling itself Caltech, as if they're some text message school?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Bard is a bizarre place. I'll put it this way. I was applying to colleges in the 1970s and picked the freakiest places I could find, and the only place my parents said "no way" to was Bard.

Becker and Fagen of Steely Dan went there.

It's an artsy place with high admissions standards. I'm astounded that not only would Bard field athletic teams but that it would send them across the country to play someone.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They probably just piggybacked out on the charter for the improvised blank verse team. They had a match at Irvine.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Charley Rosen, now NBA analyst for Fox Sports, wrote a pretty funny book ("Players and Pretenders") about coaching Bard to, IIRC, a 1-19 record during the 1979-1980 season.

From all indications, it was not considered a particularly unsuccessful season for the then-Running Red Devils (now, Raptors). For what it's worth, the one game they did win, they won by about 50 points.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it's Lucy Jones.

And it's a 207-game losing streak to NCAA teams, not overall. The Beavers have won a handful of games against NAIA and the Pasadena junior high school teams over the years.

As for the conference losing streak, whoever finally loses to them won't be able to live it down. Caltech (It's what it is; don't agree with it, but that's what they do) nearly beat Whittier last season or the season before. Appropriately, the losing streak should come against a team nicknamed the Poets. I used to cover one of the teams in the conference (Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference). The same conference includes Redlands, which uses a big-time run-and-gun approach and has been the top scoring team in Division III the past few years. Their coach, Gary Smith, though, is retiring after this season.

12. Songbird

Redlands? That's where Brian Bilick coached (or maybe did his graduate work) early in his career. He was a contestant on Match Game PM right about that time. That episode is gold. He flubbed so badly, and I've never seen a contestant raked over the coals more than he was that day. Got killed.

Draft saved Draft deleted