1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The race is such a complete and utter afterthought.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't it Foolish Pleasure?

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

4. markvid

markvid Guest

You're right, my apologies...
    Thanks, Moddy.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think of a Breeders Cup about 10-15 years ago, maybe longer, where three horses died -- two from broken legs, one from a heart attack. That scared me off of watching horse racing for years.

I can't even imagine how my mom must be taking this. She'd rather I be put down than a horse (hyperbole ... I think).

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was born in '76, so I missed the race itself. But I read a book on Ruffian in elementary school. Checked it out from the school library, devoured it in one day. Cried for an hour.

7. Moderator1

No problem and I'm sure you realize I wasn't saying that to be a dick.
    Secretariat won the only Derby I saw and kind of have his career memorized.   One of the best presents I ever received hangs in a proud place in my home.  Secretariat in the stretch of all three races - matted and framed real nice and signed by Ron Turcotte.

8. Moderator1

I was home from college, supposed to go out with some buds that night. Stayed in. Cried a long damn time myself.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Go for Wand in the stretch...probably the single most sickening sports moment I ever watched live on TV. They had the green curtain out there in record time.

Christ, Bonds ties the Babe and we have a major brawl in Chicago...and we're not talking about either right now.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

From the latest AP story:

Doesn't sound good at all.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now I'm going to ask a stupid question, but I'm not a big horse person so I plead ignorance. But is it possible to amputate the leg of a horse and have him be functional, or is that too much weight to put on three legs? The Petsmart near me has cats for adoption by a rescue group, and they have a story posted about a cat with four broken legs in a car accident that they nursed back to health. Cats are different than horses, of course.

Anyone remember that West Wing-inspired hypothetical about how you'd spend $10 billion to fix a problem? Or is it even feasable to heal a horse with a broken leg (short of putting him in a coma for six-eight weeks?)

12. Moderator1

Good question - I'm not sure of the answer but I'd think it would be no with a horse.
    I have no clue as to whether that's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted