1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

AGREED. ANY PAPER WITHOUT BARBARO AS THE HED IS A JOKE OF A RAG. :'( :'(

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably so. Just seems odd.

3. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

Question - why do horses often have to be put down after serious injuries? They can't heal and live out their lives?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes....they can't heal properly - if you try to keeo them down, they throw fits and hurt themselves.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The problem is, horses can't lay in a hospital bed and heal.  Basically, the horse has to heal standing up.  That makes it much more difficult.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, it's like the vet said.  We can break our ankle and stay in bed six weeks. You can't put a horse to bed. It's damn near impossible to keep pressure off the leg long enough to let it heal.

And someone far smarter than me will have to explain the blood supply thing but that's a problem with these injuries, too.  Can't get blood there for healing purposes or something like that.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

KEEPING THEM STILL ENOUGH TO HEAL IS A PROBLEM. WHEN HORSES ARE IN PAIN, THEY'RE IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTROL AND HEALING BECOMES A PROBLEM. :'(

8. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

I bet a few bucks on Bernadini. Never have I been so upset to win a horse race.

9. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Probably wasn't necessary to type in all caps. It was an honest question.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In our who-gives-a-shit-about-horse-racing area, Barbaro just leaped into a far more prominent spot than the Preakness was originally budgeted for.

Given the emotional factor, this is A1 worthy in my mind. Definintely in horse racing's sects of interest (Kentucky, New York, Florida, Maryland (obviously), California, etc.).

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Actually, they talked about it. Showed how he was jumpy before the Florida Derby. And for the Kentucky Derby. And today when they put the saddle on him on the turf course.

The breaking out of the gate early was very odd. Then it just looks like the horse hit a bad spot because Stevens was saying Barbaro got away clean and was running strong then just broke down. Just a total freaky thing, unfortunately.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry. didn't mean to shout. my laptop was locked in caps and i didn't notice until after i sent.

i'm not a screamer. honest. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted