1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I cried like a baby for several days the first time I read that. I will not do it again.

Indeed a quality piece of writing but heed a warning: If you have a heart and read this, you will cry.

2. Bill Heinz.
    National Freaking Treasure.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Exactly true. I hesitated to post it.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad you did and I'm sure you'll excuse me from reading it - if you haven't read it, do but do with your eyes open (and a hanky nearby).

Unless you're one of those soulless fuckers. Oops, that came out a little harsh. Sorry.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro has
    come out of surgery after six hours and was standing in an
    intensive care unit.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Tremendous story. Great imagery.

I really hope Babaro pulls through.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, wearing a cast up to his knee, was recovering tonight at the University of
    Pennsylvania’s George D. Widener Hospital after surgery to repair three broke bones in his leg.

“He was walking on his own,” Chief Surgeon Dean Richardson said after more than four hours of surgery at the Kennett
    Square, Pennsylvania, hospital.

Trainer Michael Matz said the three-year-old colt walked into his stall and starting eating hay.

Barbaro suffered three fractures, including one to the cannon bone above the ankle, a second in the long pastern bone below the
    ankle and a third within the ankle joint.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Barbaro walking on his own, AP cites the surgeon as saying.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That was an excellent piece. :'(

And I'm glad to hear Barbaro is doing OK.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nothing tasteless about that Heinz piece, its a work of art.

Glad to hear the good news about Barbaro.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't it be "broken bones" instead of "broke bones."

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

"Walking on his own"....THAT makes me want to cry....if you read the Nureyev piece, that horse didn't walk on his own for 3 months....

When you read Heinz on anything -- a horse, a boxer, a war -- you are reminded that the "death" of newspapers is really just the death of writers willing to get off their asses, watch, listen, ask, care, and write it clean and simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted