1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You guys are dicks. Anyone who has seen a horse breakdown knows how this affects people. It's called empathy, look it up.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm just trying to figure out at what point empathy for suffering humans and empathy for suffering animals became mutually exclusive goals.

3. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

You're just trying to push buttons and provoke and I get that, but I'll still say it anyway:

Part of the reason a lot of us get affected is because the poor animals aren't intelligent enough to understand why they're in such pain and suffering. They are mostly innocent, happy and unconditionally loving. They are mostly obedient to us. They trust us. And when something bad like this happens to them, it's a horrible feeling because it feels like that trust has been violated, and there is nothing you can do to communicate to the poor animal why this is happening to him.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a not-so-fine line between people with souls and those lacking.

P.S. Those who think we're getting too "touchy-feely" about this are in the latter category.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Abe, you just done Homer proud.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm just wondering whether any of the comedians have ever been pet owners.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Buck, are you saying the "Bleakness" head is in poor taste? Doesn't hit me that way. It actually seems like a pretty good, but still serious, head to me.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know, SF. When you get a situation like this which is SO serious, I tend to shy away from the turn of a phrase, anything cute. In a way, it feels like you're trivializing it.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Out here, the headline was:

Crown hopes fractured
    Barbaro breaks leg; Bernardini wins Preakness.

The story was played at the bottom of the cover.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I needed two short, strong words to use inside that photo of Prado next to the saddle.

At first, I went with "HOPE LOST." Then it was pointed out that it made it seem as if Barbaro had died.

Ended with "STAR FALLS."

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Here's a couple headlines I've seen. I have no further comment.

"Bernardini catches break as Barbaro comes up lame"

"Second Leg Is the Saddest"

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Excellent post, Abe.

Draft saved Draft deleted